This page describes the activities of an Initiative steward. We appreciate your consideration of this role!
The stewardship role[edit source]
Initiative stewards are volunteers that significantly increase the scale and pace of progress at Appropedia. An individual stewardship role will require between 1 and 3 hours per week. Appropedia expects to have dozens of Initiatives active at any given time. By tracking, guiding and promoting the progress of an Initiative, a steward helps engage the Appropedia community, and advance the Appropedia mission. Stewardship activities will vary with each initiative, but all can be accomplished through a browser and email.
Expectations of a steward[edit source]
An ideal Initiative steward will perform the activities below for their specific Initiative
- Be an enthusiastic supporter of the Initiative
- Spend 1 to 3 hours per week helping develop the Initiative
- Track edits that users make on key article pages related to the Initiative
- Mark the key pages as "watch" pages so that you receive email when they are modified
- For content edits, ensure that they are legitimate and in the right place
- Edit or move content as needed
- For questions, provide answers or contact someone who can answer
- Help with promotion. Every few weeks, blog or tweet (or suggest ideas for others to blog or tweet) about the Initiative
- As needed, maintain and update a description of the status of the Initiative on the Initiative launch page
- Look for ways the Initiative could make better progress
- Do newcomers to the Initiative have enough guidance available?
- Is another page needed?
- Does a page need to be restructured?
- Should a Mediawiki template be created (for example, to help users identify with the Initiative)
Necessary skills of a steward[edit source]
- basic Mediawiki skills