Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
- 1 Moving pages
- 2 Formating lines
- 3 Image size?
- 4 Good work
- 5 Moving
- 6 FAQ
- 7 Moving - name ideas
- 8 banner on GEM page (reply)
- 9 can mosquitoes breed in water below gravel surface?
- 10 Re: George
- 11 answer...
- 12 Banner
- 13 Discussing efficacy of source reduction in mosquito control
- 14 Reply
- 15 MyDiabetesIsCured
- 16 Thanks for the Appreciation
- 17 Hi George
- 18 GEMMC is already in Portal:Projects
- 19 Problem uploading & displaying new version of an image
Hi George - I'm very sorry to take so long to respond! Things have been busy and exciting, with a number of organizations wanting to join the effort here at Appropedia, and that's kept me busy. I'm sure that within one year something amazing will be happening here.
To move a page, look at the tabs at the top. Between "history" and "watch" you should see a page marked "move" - try clicking that and following the instructions. I think either "GEM Method" or "GEM method for mosquito control" would be a good name.
I wasn't sure if you wanted this bit in a box, in GEM Technology:
This is an appropriate technology and is detrimental only to the target creature – the mosquito. This can be implemented every where overnight since no new product is involved.
There's a formatting quirk in wiki software which I took a long time to understand. If there is a space at the beginning of the line, it is put in a different box, in a box with no line breaks. So if you prefer it as normal text, just remove those spaces at the beginning of each line. Just in case it helps. --Chriswaterguy · talk 05:55, 30 March 2007 (PDT)
I see the GEM page is coming along very well. It looks good with the images.
- I made some minor changes, mainly to the images. Also, I added spacing between 2 paragraphs - otherwise the wiki markup treats them as one paragraph. The page is looking good - I will let you arrange the images as you think best (I think the format should be clear now, but if you have any problems, just ask). --Chriswaterguy · talk 07:25, 20 April 2007 (PDT)
Hi George. You wrote:
Saw the edits. It has made the page elegant. Thank you very much. I was not knowing the use of 'frame' option in image link. Was wondering how to manage the blank space adjacent to that image. You taught me now. I haven't tried 'move page' yet. Have some doubts.
1. What will happen to the links to google etc? Will they get modified automatically?
2. When those who have visited this page earlier try to visit again, how will they know about the NEW name? Or will the earlier address take them here?
3. Will the hits counter be reset to zero?
- Google will update their database automatically after a while (maybe only a few days, but not sure).
- The old address will still work, as a redirect is created automatically. However, from the new page it is best to click "What links here" to check there are no double redirects. (See Wikipedia:Project:Double redirects.)
- Re the hit counter: I just checked by moving Sandbox, and it is not reset.
- btw, if you are logged in, then you can add the time to your signature by using four tildes, i.e. ~~~~. 3 tildes is just your username (linked) and 5 tildes makes just the date.
- Hi George. You wrote:
"Now should I move FAQA section to appro UserPage or leave it in main page? What is the preference of users & what would make the page look better?"
- My preference is to see such material in the main space rather than userspace. So if you think it is too big for one article, I'd suggest you make a second page called GEM Technology FAQ or GEM method FAQ or something like that.
- I think the person who deleted your Wikipedia page was overzealous, but made an honest mistake, thinking it was about a commercial product or service. Anyway, the material is most welcome here. --Chriswaterguy · talk 22:06, 1 May 2007 (PDT)
- I discussed it with the person who deleted it, and it does seem that the idea is not suitable for Wikipedia, even on a user page. However, a simple link to a user page or website elsewhere is acceptable, and a link to the GEM technology page might also be fine, I think. Just some info for you in case you wish to re-create your Wikipedia user page at any point. --Chriswaterguy · talk 07:40, 15 May 2007 (PDT)
Moving - name ideas
- Hi George,
- Sorry I didn't answer your email. I was busy all weekend, and now am getting ready to travel to Indonesia, next week. (Maybe by next year I'll get to India).
- You wrote:
Hi Chris, Before moving 'GEM Technology' page one more doubt. Is 'GEM mosquito control" ok? Because, 'GEM method' does not indicate mosquito control, 'GEM method for mosquito control' seems to be large a title. Will 'GEM mosquito control' cause any contradiction or confusion?
Shooter talk 03:43, 13 May 2007 (PDT)
- I think GEM mosquito control is a great name. And don't worry, it's always easy to move again, if necessary. --Chriswaterguy · talk 07:29, 15 May 2007 (PDT)
- Glad to hear that you are visiting India. We will meet here.
GEM Technology page is moved to GEM mosquito control & GEM mosquito control FAQ page is created. All questions are given as sub-sections so that users can jump to any question skpping others.
I have also given links to these pages in wikipedia user page. I do not have a home page; it is not affordable with my megre pension.
Shooter talk11:37, 31 May 2007 (PDT)
- Glad to hear that you are visiting India. We will meet here.
- Great. You are in Kerala? I definitely want to visit Kerala, and will be very interested to meet you and see your work, and other projects in Kerala.
- Regarding a homepage, you are welcome to consider your Appropedia user page as your homepage.
How are you? Hope & pray fine. Its very long since I visited this page. My brother was here for further treatment. I too was hospitalised for 2 days. I was in ICCU.
- Sorry to hear that! Hope you and your brother return to full health. --Chriswaterguy · talk 03:02, 22 July 2007 (PDT)
Some time back there appeared a banner at the bottom of GEM_mosquito_control page which read 'Based on work by Chris Watkins and anonymous users'. It disturbed me a little. But I was not sure about how to ask you. I went on thinking about that. But after a few days, to my pleasent surprise found that it was modified by somebody to 'Based on work by E.M.George and Chris Watkins'. I felt very happy & that it was a Divine intervention. But unfortunately the same old banner 'Based on work by Chris Watkins and anonymous users of Appropedia' ha re-appeared. I feel you may not be aware of these developments. Could you kindly look into it. I am verymuch thankful for all the help you have extended to my efforts & hope and pray the same will continue.
- I had no idea about this and am very surprised. That banner, esp in its first form, certainly seems inappropriate. This is your work - I only lent a helping hand and do so on many other pages also, and do not expect to be credited (apart from the history & contributions pages, in the same way that every registered user's work can be viewed).
- I couldn't find the changes in the history. Perhaps you could provide the diffs. By this I mean: Go to the history page, find the relevant edits, and see where it has the links "(Difference to current)(...to last)". Click "...to last" to see the exact change that was made, and who made it. Copy the address of that page - that is the diff. Copy the address or addresses in a note to my talk page. In any case like this where you would like help resolving problematic edits, you may do the same, or post to the "village pump". But in this case I would like to help you myself. --Chriswaterguy · talk 03:02, 22 July 2007 (PDT)
By the way is it possible to get any details about those who visit the page. So far 714 visits are there! Shooter talk 02:29, 22 July 2007 (PDT)
- No but Lonny might be able to tell which pages people came from to that page, and where in the world they are located, through Google Analytics - I'll leave a note for him. --Chriswaterguy · talk 03:02, 22 July 2007 (PDT)
- Hi, I am working on these two issues. I am sending you an email now. --Lonny 10:00, 24 July 2007 (PDT)
can mosquitoes breed in water below gravel surface?
Check the question at Talk:Greywater Ecuador La lagrima purificadora#Mosquitoes - thanks! --Chriswaterguy · talk 22:42, 2 August 2007 (PDT)
- Hi Chris,
- Regarding the accessability of mosquito to water below the gravel, can a sectional drawing of the site be made available? This is to see how deep is the water from top & how are the gaps between gravel bits. What is the size of gravel? :Shooter talk 01:52, 12 September 2007 (PDT)
- I didn't have a particular site in mind - it's just a general question. If it's known how small the gaps need to be, and how far below the surface, that could be useful info. (Of course, the closer to the surface, the smaller the gaps have to be I assume - but I'm just thinking of some guidance or rule of thumb.)
Its me the mosquito man after a long time! I had some tough times & thats y I didnt get in touch with u & my mails. As usual my net connection is down for a long time. In between my brother's illness worsened & he passed away.
- I'm very sorry to hear that - my sincere condolences.
I was at home village for almost a month. Afterwards I was bedridden due to back pain -not fully recovered yet.
- I sympathize - though it sounds like yours is more serious than mine has been in the past. Yoga has helped me very much (with a great teacher who's also a trained physiotherapist and gives excellent guidance and advice). I hope you find something that is helpful for you.
Earlier I had asked u about the banner at the bottom of GEM_mosquito_control page & you had put an action point for me. On a quick look I could not find any details in the history. Today its noticed that the banner is beyond the user editable region. It comes below the user rditable space where your admin people give details about # of visits, last modification, About Appropedia, Powered by Media Wiki logo etc. Hence I am unable to complete the action point by you for me.
- Ah, I misunderstood, previously. Now I see the problem.
- This banner is created automatically, and as I created the page (even though it is all or almost all your content), it gives this output. Clearly this tool is not sophisticated enough yet. I will ask Lonny about this.
- Sorry for my slow response - I have been traveling, am now in North Sumatra (going to Aceh soon) and haven't had good net access. --Chriswaterguy · talk 06:05, 28 September 2007 (PDT)
Regarding the question on graveled water, I need more details about the surface to give a complete answer. The idea of making water body inaccessible to mosquito is in my opinion impractical as well as ineffective. Please see a relevent answer in GEM_mosquito_control_FAQ#Q2. and GEM_mosquito_control_FAQ#Q7. I am very glad about your interactions & ur interest in mosquito control. Bye4now.
Shooter talk 02:40, 8 September 2007 (PDT)
Hi George - made a quick response on my talk page below your comments.
A small suggestion - when leaving a comment, make the header a brief description of the question, rather than your name - this makes it easier to keep track of and link to conversations. Cheers, and thanks again for your valuable contributions. --Chriswaterguy · talk 10:26, 9 October 2007 (PDT)
I realized that my analysis of the problem was wrong. Actually, each person is mentioned only once, even if they are both the creator and the most recent editor. I made a small edit on the GEM page, and now the names are reversed - "This page was last modified... by Appropedia user Chriswaterguy. Based on work by E.M.George and Anonymous user(s) of Appropedia." Is that an improvement? I think we need a new banner, but that will take time.
If you would like more detail (including my mistaken analysis!) then see User talk:Lonny#Contributor notice.
Sorry to take so long to deal with this - I've let too many things clutter my mind. Trying to be focused now, working (with other Appropedians) on some new features for the site. We should have forums and a blog very soon.
I was just looking at your user page, about how you "go around taking classes on mosquito menace, energy conservation, waste disposal, related problems & safe practical solutions." Would love to talk to you some time about all these things. --Chriswaterguy · talk 10:35, 28 October 2007 (PDT)
Discussing efficacy of source reduction in mosquito control
Regarding ? Efficacy of source reduction in mosquito control ?, perhaps we could try that as a forum topic in the new Appropedia Forums]? I have some questions and hypotheticals to respond to your challenge, but it might be a good way to get discussions happening in the forums, if we do it there. --Chriswaterguy · talk 09:45, 13 November 2007 (PST)
Hi George, good to hear from you, and glad to hear your operation has strengthened you!
I replied to you at User talk:Chriswaterguy#George, still running after mosquito. --Chriswaterguy 17:43, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Glad to hear about your health - will be interested to read the English version of the details of "MyDiabetesIsCured".
I'm not sure it's within the scope of Appropedia. I'll leave a note on the talk page later. But please let me know when there are details in English.
Stay well! --Chriswaterguy 16:28, 18 September 2009 (UTC)
- Hi again, George. That sounds like serious surgery - rest well and hope you're strong and fully well soon! --Chriswaterguy 15:59, 25 October 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for the Appreciation
Hi George. Thank you so much for the nice appreciation. I have to say you are doing a wonderful job-working hard to eradicate Malaria. There have been a number of projects to eradicate Malaria here but the problem still persists. Recently there has been a project distributing treated mosquito nets but the nets as you may know can only keep you safe during sleeping time. So we still need solutions, a solution like yours that will kill the mosquito, I bet, can be most appropriate if popularized. The less mosquito we have around us the better. Thanks for the appreciation and I look forward for more information from you. Best of Luck! --User:Kili 19:36, 24 November 2012 (GMT+3)
Thanks for the appreciation and the information again. Someday we will have social entrepreneurs to scale up and reproduce your solution around the globe? --User:Kili 20:23, 24 November 2012 (GMT+3)
GEMMC is already in Portal:Projects
GEM mosquito control is found to be already in the Projects Portal. I was not aware of this. So I think the first step is begun. Probably more details may have to be added, I suppose.
Problem uploading & displaying new version of an image
This problem I had encountered last year also. Then I uploaded the new version of the image in another unique name & displayed. Now same problem repeated. What happens is that when I upload a new version, the previous version appear in the place where the "CURRENT" one is to appear in the file history.
Please have a look at http://www.appropedia.org/File:BloodSugarResultsOfUserGeorgedappilly.jpg and HELP.
Shooter 09:33, 4 May 2013 (PDT)
Lonny's the one that understands the technical side best- but could you tell us - at File:BloodSugarResultsOfUserGeorgedappilly.jpg- does the correct image show anywhere? Thanks! --Chriswaterguy 13:39, 5 May 2013 (PDT)
Yes the second & third ones
Thank you for the fast response. At File:BloodSugarResultsOfUserGeorgedappilly.jpg out of the four images the second & third are the new and first & last are the old (and those are one & the same!) The old one appearing as the current is the problem.
The bottom one was uploaded last year. The other day uploaded a new version. Then the one that appeared as current was the same old one. Anticipating some delay i waited for a day. There was no change. Then i uploaded once again the new version. Then the new one appeared at the middle, ie in between the two old ones - even though i have uploaded the old one only once! Then in the first column below the word current there were two reverts. I clicked the revert in the mid row ie on the left of the new version. Then the old image moved up & one more copy of the new one appeared as the second from the top.
Then I modified the main page and tried to display as thumb. That worked & surprisingly the new version appeared. When I increased size to full again the old appeared! Then i tried different sizes from thumb. All except the full size displayed the new image. Then I finalized on the largest size that displayed the new version. That is the one seen now in the main page.
Incidentally I see a dotted line around the picture. What can it be?
Talk · Shooter 10:11, 6 May 2013 (PDT)
- George, I am trying to understand the problem. The image at File:BloodSugarResultsOfUserGeorgedappilly.jpg includes datapoints to November 2012. Is that the most recent image? That images appears to be in use at Diabetes_mellitus_cured_-_George's_experience#Graphical representation, which appears to be the correct full sized image as displayed at the image page I linked above. Unless you are suggesting that there is a different image which should be displayed, I have to agree with Lonny that the problem appears to be with the cache on your computer rather than with the software that runs Appropedia.
- I for one would appreciate more respect for the founders of Appropedia in your comments. There is no need to add capitals for emphasis of your terms, and there is no need to make the same comment on several people's userpages. Even if there had been an issue with the Appropedia software, the simplest way to test this would have been to upload the image again with a slightly different file name and see how it displays. Chris and Lonny are busy people and are not solely interested in the progress of your experiences. Please do not make comments that sound like you are demanding that they drop everything to deal with your problem. Several of us have admin rights, and quite a few of us keep an eye on edits, so we will know if there is an issue that needs immediately addressing, there is no need to say it more than once.
- If there is anything else to be said on this, please say it here on your userpage. Thanks. Joeturner 01:47, 7 May 2013 (PDT)
- hi user:joeturner, first of all i am extremely sorry for having disturbed the appropedia team & bosses. truely i had no such intention. even then extremely sorry once again. when i started working with fortran 4 on the ibm 360 mainframe way back in 1972 my colleagues made fun of me of being the victim of the perfectionist syndrome. i feel the problem still persists in me. what to do? I do not know how to fix that bug in me.
- initally i had been knowing only two persons in appropedia - the two names you mentioned in your comment. those days when i made this type of edits in my user-talk page mr. chris watkins sir only suggested me to place a copy of it in the user-tak page of the person to whom it is meant, to make things easier for them. i was taught, how to place a link to my user-talk page while placing a comment in others user-talk pages. as in the current comment he had mentioned that lonny understands this type of technical things better. from then on i was following that modus operandi till now since nobody suggested a change. now that you were kind enough to point out a modification, i shall follow the revised pattern. i was not aware that there are more persons in appropedia taking care of these things.
- for the time being i accept all the logic & arguements put forwaed in the first segment of your valuable comment in toto. i was under the wrong notion that i too was a part of appropedia. that is why, when it was felt that there is a bug in the s/w i raised a flag to bring it to the notice of related persons. I had no bad intentions. what appeared to me as a bug was encountered last year also. when it repeated even after the lapse of one year, only i raised a flag. last year i surpased the problem by uploading the then new image in a different name, as suggested by you this year. there was no intention of demanding an immediate solution. i presume the capital letters caused all the problem. in fact i had found an alternate solution to the problem and that is why you saw the large image displayed in the page and not because the bug is not there. but i thought getting the bug fixed will be better for other users & appropedia at large. if you say it was a pseudo bug and the problem is with my cache on my computer, well i simply accept it.
- i in fact have much more respect to not only the builders of appropedia, but to one and all there. in future i take more care to express it in my comments. in fact i was asked to be informal in comments. i have never thought that lonny sir and chris sir are not busy people. i am 63 years old (sort of fag end of my life) and have worked for three decades in a large organisation. so i can appreciate the tight work schedule of big bosses to some extent. i am stagnant at my place but others are growing fast. i should have anticipated or remembered that. it is my limitation.
- if i have made any new mistakes in this comment please pardon the ignorance of this oldie. thank you very much for sparing your valuable time to read these words. Shooter 05:38, 7 May 2013 (PDT)
- No problem, George - it sounds like the issue is now solved. In my view (which isn't necessarily everyone elses), it makes more sense to give large explanations for a problem in your own talk page or on the talk of the page in question. The problem with writing on lots of other people's talkpages is that it is hard to follow, hence the suggestion that the explanation of the problem (and fix) to be written here. Bug reports or problems are probably best written on A:VP - and again, I'd not use lots of capitals in the comment. Capitals generally imply anger and a sense of urgency, which perhaps you did not mean to imply. Anyway, I'm glad that it seems to have sorted itself out now. If there are other admin-type tasks I can help with, let me know (I'm less busy than Chris and Lonny at the moment, although I know far less about it all than they do). Joeturner 06:05, 7 May 2013 (PDT)
- Just another thought - it might be worth trying to keep the bug on a page if it happens again, rather than reverting. There isn't anything to indicate a problem in the history of that image page, so it is hard to know. We're more likely to be able to fix a bug if we can see it or replicate it. Again, Lonny might well be the only person who knows enough about the software to tell how to fix it, but there isn't anything to see as far as I can tell now. Joeturner 06:24, 7 May 2013 (PDT)
Question for you
Hi George - I think this question is meant for you: User talk:LATHA.
I hope your health continues, and even improves! --Chriswaterguy 06:10, 10 August 2013 (PDT)
Yes that question is for me
- Hi Chris - Yes you are right; that question is for me. Thank you for bringing it to my notice. As far as my health in relation to Diabetes is concerned, from Jan 2012 HbA1c was continuing at 5.9% (above 6.4 & up to 7 is considered to be diabetic - good control. This quarterly test showed 5.6% - improved. On the CVD front I had third stenting early 2013.
- As I had been cautioned, by an Appropedia team member, against writing in other users' talk pages, I am answering the question also here itself. I am told that there are dedicated manpower to route edits/comments to appropriate pages across.
- I find third level heading (===) bolder than second level heading (==). Is it expected to be so? I felt the other way!
Hi User LATHA
- Your question was brought to my notice by a note of Mr. Chriswaterguy.
- You asked HELLO SIR HOW DOES LONG WHEAT WORK IN HELPING TO CURE DIABETES. WHAT ABOUT GLUTEN. IS THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS EATING LONG WHEAT SUDDENLY
- Thank you for reading my experience. Many people have asked me this question. To be frank what I know is that Long Wheat cured my diabetes; I do not know how it cured. In my opinion let people who are working or doing research in such areas and are paid for that find it out. If you are diabetic & choose to wait till it is found out & proved, please do wait; but the progressive & degenerative diabetes will not wait. That is the only problem.
- I regret my vocabulary limitation; do not misunderstand me; by gluten did you mean over-eating or swallowing without chewing or something else. please enlighten me so that I can try to clarify.
- I ate Long Wheat mash for three years but did not feel any undesirable side effect. There was a side effect; it reduced my constipation. By the way I was eating it slowly - not suddenly or hurriedly.
- Hi User LATHA, I posted a reply to your question a week (or so) ago here. Could not see any response so far. Is it that you have nothing to respond or that you did not see mine? Any how, assuming that you have not seen my reply I am placing a link at your user page today (21 Aug 2013).
- I have included your talk page in my WATCH LIST & my email alert option is activated. So when you or somebody write on your talk page I will (most probably) get an alert mail.
- Hi Chris,
- It appears that the above three users were expecting me to prescribe them some magic pills to swallow & get cured of Diabetes.
- No proper/meaningful feedback from them so far.
- Shooter (talk) 09:06, 2 August 2015 (PDT)