Coalition of the Willing
Coalition of the Willing, the film, was directed by Simon Robson and created by twenty animation teams from three continents. This initial coalition numbered 77 people. The film offers a vision of a global coalition of the willing to combat climate change. It proposes a network of interoperative sites, each with a different climate action function. Using the network, participants are able to form cross-functional teams, collaborating in the spirit of open source to create innovate solutions to climate and social justice problems.
The Coalition is now the collaborative effort that is bringing that network into being.
Watch the video
(See also the long comment thread on Vimeo.)
The core of the vision involves three types of website:
- An action network (e.g. OneClimate)
- An innovation platform (e.g. MyooCreate)
- A green knowledge trust (e.g. Appropedia)
Facilitates sites to collaborate and work on interoperability.
Sites and channels
- Main site - wiki, and portal for the movement.
- COTW.cc: Frequently Asked Questions
- Coalition of the Willing on Vimeo - video, widely viewed with great comments.
- Twitter: @coalitionfilm.
- Identica group "Coalition of the Willing movement and film" - for sharing microblog posts
- BetterMeans - open workstream management. Propose a feature or task, or join one.
- Mailing list
- IRC: #cotw on Freenode - there's often someone online. You can use the web interface. (If your browser can handle irc links, click irc://freenode/cotw )
- Read The Script - Coalition of the Willing. The script of the original animated short film.
- Simon Robson's "Coalition of the Willing", interview with Mother Jones, Oct 8, 2010
- Simon Robson: Coalition of the Willing, interview with Desktop, 21 Oct 2010.
- Coalition of the Willing: film-making, collaboration, activism - The Center for Sustainable Practice in the Arts, February 9, 2010
- OFFF Review: Coalition Of The Willing’s Group Filmmaking, July 9, 2010, short interview with Simon Robson.
Awards and nominations
- Grand Jury Award Winner $5,000 - "Coalition of the Willing", The Hamptons International Film Festival (HIFF), 2010.
Media and blog mentions
- Coalition of the Willing blog post at "Osocio, Social Advertising and Non-profit Campaigns," 8-March-2010
- Coalition of the Willing: Post-Copenhagen animation, The Guardian, exclusive preview the day before release, 29 June 2010