Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
In 2007 Greensburg was devastated by a tornado. After the tornado, the city council passed a resolution stating that all city buildings would be built to LEED - platinum standards, making it the first city in the nation to do so. Greensburg is rebuilding as a "green" town, with the help of Greensburg GreenTown, a non-profit organization created to help the residents learn about and implement the green living initiative. The city's power is supplied by ten 1.25 MW wind-turbines. W
Initiatives by topic
- Solar power in Kansas: It is estimated that 25% of electricity in Kansas could be provided by rooftop solar panels.
- Wind power in Kansas: The U.S. State of Kansas has high potential capacity for wind power, second behind Texas. The most recent estimates (2012) are that Kansas has a potential for 952 GW of wind power capacity yet has only about 1.2 GW installed. Kansas could generate 3,102 TW·h of electricity each year, which represents over 75% of all the electricity generated in the United States in 2011.
Sustainable transport activism
Wikipedia: Hiking trails in Kansas (category)
Towards sustainable economies
Wellness Weaver, a timebank, has collaborated with partners around the US to connect people who want to create a FUNctional Health and Wellness Workers Cooperative — a wellness-oriented Mutual Aid Network.
"The value of the Mutual Aid Network is to bring the wisdom and expertise of those that have used time banking formally as a way to help develop and support the best functioning Wellness Oriented Mutual Aid Network," says Helen Stucky Weaver, retired nurse and founder of Wellness Weavers. 
- Centre for Sustainability, University of Kansas
- K-State Sustainability, information from Kansas State University
- Sustainability Department of Douglas County
- Sustainability, City of Lawrence
Apps for sustainability
Cycling: Kansas City B-Cycle related apps