Appropedia needs your support - Please Donate Today
Gifts that keep on giving
This page is a list of gifts you can give your loved ones that contribute to a sustainable world and continue to provide goods, services, and/or economic savings for them long after you have given the initial gift.
Some gifts can be quite large and expensive, while others small and inexpensive depending on your budget. The idea is steer your own personal gift giving away from the destructive consumer culture - and point it more towards helping create a sustainable world. Particularly for gifts that can help people in times of economic hardship it is often easier to make the sustainable choice.
Please add to the list. And add your thoughts to the discussion page about the entire idea.
Gifts to Avoid Future Costs
- Housing to prevent rent
- CSA, food, gift certificate for organic produce, vitamins to prevent both food costs and reduce medical expenses
- Non-consumables for items a family needs (e.g. permanent safety razor)
- Public transportation pass - bus pass, subway tokens, or train vouchers
- Hybrid car to replace standard vehicles
- Automobile tuneup - inflate tires, etc. to improve fuel efficiency
Gifts that Create Revenue Streams
Appropriate technologies - of course.
Energy Conservation Measures
Any energy savings will save the family money year after year - while reducing their ecological footprint.
- Insulated window coverings
- More efficient lighting: CFLs, LEDs
- Solar domestic hot water heaters
- Energy star appliances
- Tools and Equipment