Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
(Redirected from Codes)
|Image||Made of||Used in|
|PETE Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)||Soda & water containers, some waterproof packaging.|
|HDPE High-Density Polyethylene.||Milk, detergent & oil bottles, Toys and plastic bags.|
|V Vinyl/Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC).||Food wrap, vegetable oil bottles, blister packages.|
|LDPE Low-Density Polyethylene.||plastic bags. Shrink wrap, garment bags.|
|PP Polypropylene.||Refrigerated containers, some bags, most bottle tops, some carpets, some food wrap.|
|PS Polystyrene.||Throwaway utensils, meat packing, protective packing.|
|Others.||Layered or mixed plastic.|
These symbols are meant to indicate the type of plastic, not its recyclability.
- Types 1 and 2 are commonly recycled.
- Type 4 is less commonly recycled.
- Type 7 No recycling potential.Must be landfilled.
- The other types are generally not recycled, except perhaps in small test programs.
- Common plastics polycarbonate (PC) and acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) do not have recycling numbers.
- Plastics 3, 6, and 7 probably contain BPA and should not be used to store anything that will be consumed by humans