Get the new Rainwater book at our Kickstarter for To Catch the Rain.
User:Syed Ziauddin Ahmed
I am a graduate student currently pursuing my MS in electrical engineering at Tuskegee University, Alabama. I am from Bangladesh, a developing country in need of clean energy resources to meet the ever-increasing demand and also for environmental safety. Solar power being the only viable solution, it is yet to be deployed in a large scale owing to lack of local technical expertise in this industry. I am passionate about research in this sector to contribute fundamentally from the device level engineering to increase the efficiency of solar cells. I would like to focus my research on developing advanced material for next generation solar cell and to use nano fabrication techniques to increase the conversion efficiency of solar cell. My graduate study has provided me with the background in material growth, use of plasmonic nano-structures and characterization techniques which will be conducive for me to carry on my research in solar photovoltaic.
• MS in Electrical Engineering, Tuskegee University, Alabama, USA. CGPA: 4.0/4.0
• BSc in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2013. CGPA: 3.01/4
Advanced Materials & Fabrication Techniques for Plasmonics & Photonics
Plasmonics for Increasing Solar Cell efficiency
Thin Film Fabrication and Nano-patterning
• Cleanroom/Microelectronic Fabrication : Sputter Deposition, Photolithography, Wet Etching, RCA 1/2 Clean, Micro-moulding, Spin Coating, 3D Printing
• Characterization Tools : Scanning Electron Microscopy, Semiconductor Parameter Analyzer, Raman Spectroscopy, XRD, Optical Surface Profiler, Potentiostat, Four Point Probe, Hall Effect Measurement
• Programming Languages- Python, C , C++
• Simulation Software : MATLAB, Simulink, PSPICE, Proteus , AutoCAD
• Graduate Research Assistant, Microelectronics Lab. Gold sputtering on nanostructured substrate and optimization of thickness for Plasmonic SERS chemical sensing application.
• Student Leadership Council Representative of CIAN (Centre for Integrated Access Network) collaborative research centre. Contribution: Performing Fabrication of Germanium Thin Films by sputtering for Si-Ge photodetector for Photonic Integration & Research work Presentation on NSF yearly review.
• PDMS Micro & Nano structuring with Biomimetic Micromolding.
• FDM 3D printed All Solid State carbon particle Supercapacitor Fabrication & Characterization.
• MWCNT Based All Solid State Thin Film Supercapacitor Fabrication & Characterization.
• Teaching Assistant at Electrical Engineering Department for Electronics II Lab & Digital Logic Design Lab, Tuskegee University. (2016 - Present)
Nanostructured Surfaces & Interfaces for Plasmonic & Energy Storage Application (Supervisor: Dr. Li Jiang & Dr. Naga Korivi)
• “Nanotextured Thin Films for Detection of Chemicals by Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering" by N. Korivi; L. Jiang; Ahmed, Syed; N. Nujhat,; M.Idrees; V. Rangari. Materials Research Express : iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/2053-1591/aa9395
• S. Ahmed, N. Korivi, L. Jiang, B. Oni, "Improving Interfacial Adhesion Between Active Material and Solid Electrolytes in Thin Film Supercapacitors," 45th Conference on the Physics & Chemistry of Surfaces & Interfaces (PCSI-45), HI, USA, January 14-18, 2018.
• N. Korivi, N. Nujhat, S. Ahmed, L. Jiang, K. Das, "Interlayer Assisted Growth of Polycrystalline Germanium on Silicon at Low Temperatures," 45th Conference on the Physics & Chemistry of Surfaces & Interfaces (PCSI-45), HI, USA, January 14-18, 2018.
• S. Ahmed, N. Nujhat, L. Jiang, B. Timob, V. Rangari, N.S. Korivi, "Smart Nanostructured Films for Sensitive Chemical Detection and Analysis," The 61st International Conference on Electron, Ion, and Photon Beam Technology and Nanofabrication (EIPBN 2017), Orlando, USA, May 30 - June 2, 2017.
• S. Gaillard, S. Ahmed, L. Jiang, M. Biswas, V. Rangari, N.S. Korivi, "Biomimetic micromolding: Micro- and Nano-structuring of Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) using Bio- and Nature Inspired Templates," The 61st International Conference on Electron, Ion, and Photon Beam Technology and Nanofabrication (EIPBN 2017), Orlando, USA, May 30 - June 2, 2017.
• N. Nujhat, S. Ahmed, L. Jiang and N.S. Korivi, “MWCNT-PET Films Prepared by Solution Casting for Electronics Applications,” The 60th International Conference on Electron, Ion, and Photon Beam Technology and Nanofabrication (EIPBN), Pittsburgh, May 31 - June 3, 2016.
Awards and Extra-Curricular Activities
• 1st Prize Oral Presentation in Joint Annual Research Symposium at Tuskegee University.
• Mentor-CIAN Young Scholars Program 2017