Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Solar Fruit Dehydrator
Lake Tahoe, NV
The goals of this project are to dry fruit in a sustainable manner using appropriate technology.
My design is a three layer system. The base has corrugated tin roofing for ventilation, the second layer is the drying screen where the fruit or vegetable is layed, and the top layer is black, double paned glass for attracting and retaining the heat.
The materials are as follow
- Reclaimed double paned window $5.00
- Reclaimed corrugated tin roofing (ventilation) $2.20
- Reclaimed screws $3.00
- Reclaimed handles $4.00
- ¾” X 1 ¾” Clear Fir Lumber $.70 ea = $5.60
- Chain $2.98
- Hinges (3”) $4.99 ea = $9.98
- Screen (framed in fir lumber)
- Chalkboard Paint
The total cost of my project was just under $40.00
I plan to research more methods and ideal settings for this process.
Passive solar is an easy way to utilize the sun's energy and potential.