Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Benefits of cycling
See Benefits of cycling.
Why Bike Safety
- Alternative Transportation
- Educate Children
- Through Bike Safety we can educate children to be able to have a means of alternative transportation
Impact on the Community
Bicycles offer various benefits:
- Bike paths are cheaper than roads, and as well as gas
- leads to better health, meaning lower medical costs
- leads to better physical health (less stressful and more enjoyable)
- Exercise improves one's mental state.
- Allows for a community member to be able to get to work, school and other places they. They will be able to make connections increasing their social life.
As a means of personal transport
Even areas with just footpaths bicycling is the most energy-efficient means of transport generally available. Bicycling at low to medium speeds (10-15 mph, 16-24 km/h), uses only the energy required to walk.
Bicycles and helmets are still expensive. Therefore, transport needs to be supported by an affordable system of manufacture, supply, and repair.
In order for community members to be able to bike their needs to be spare parts and repair services, which are affordable. Bike Rodeo allows for safety, maintenance, and repair to allow the transportation.
Applying for Grants can lead to the purchase on new bikes, helmets, and bike racks
- Private Grants and Community Members Donations
- Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation
- The Nature Fund-This fund is specifically for nonprofit organizations working on environmental issues and environmental education programs in the region.
- Government and non-profit organizations, as well as private entities.
- Safe Kids Placer County
- Each Year, Safe Kids Placer County donates over 200 bicycle helmets to the Placer County area
- In conjunction with First Five Placer County, Safe Kids Placer County assesses children who participate in the Head Start Pre-school on their knowledge of Safety. Head Start uses this information to teach the children, using the Risk Watch program, how to be safe. All children who participate in this program receive a bicycle helmet at the end of the school year.
Many people choose not to bike due to safety concern. Providing education to community members and allowing them to feel safe with the equipment will lead to a means of an alternative transportation.
See DMV Bike Safety
- Bike Rodeo allows parents and children to learn and practice bicycle skills and become better bicyclists.
- The rodeo features bicycle and helmet safety checks as well as obstacle courses and “decorate your bike” stations. Parents are also allowed to register their bicycles with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office in case a bicycle becomes lost or stolen.
- Bike Rodeo is hosted by the North Tahoe Family Resource Center and the Placer County Sheriff's Office, with other local businesses and organizations
- Alternative Transportation- Bike Safety.jpeg