CLICK HERE (admins only)
I make mistakes - please revert them, and tell me![edit | edit source]
Humans make mistakes, and so do bots. I'm trying to make lots of changes to help improve Appropedia - some of these changes will get it wrong - so please help me by telling me on my talk page.
Or if you're just confused, just ask.
I'm here to help you... Just ask![edit | edit source]
- make repetitive edits on multiple pages, e.g. adding, removing or changing a tag/template.
- search for a term (or one of a set of terms) on all pages, and wikilink them.
- search for a term (or one of a set of terms) on all pages, and categorize the page.
- renaming a category (i.e. moving all its pages). Make sure you have consensus, since category moves are not easy to revert.
Note that while some are very easy (renaming a category, adding/changing/removing all tags of a consistent form...) others do take some work, manually confirming each change (wikilinking and categorization).
I would greatly appreciate help from others who'd like to operate a bot.
Developments[edit | edit source]
When I get things wrong and people tell me, my commands are tweaked to prevent these happening again. E.g. I now only edit in certain namespaces so I don't make even minor changes to userpages.
I am now aware that I have to avoid Project pages in progress and will work that out before I start to edit again. (I think that category moves, where an entirely category has to be moved, will have to be an exception here, as it's not a good idea to leave isolated articles in deprecated categories.)
Also, as my operator learns how to run a bot (especially regular expressions), I get better and more efficient.
Feel free to make suggestions on my talk page.
The specific tasks I run[edit | edit source]
Commands will be placed here on the next development cycle (early Dec 2009). Ask if you need more info.
About me[edit | edit source]
Any questions may be left on the talk page.
I'm aiming at a high rate of good changes, but there will be some (hopefully a very small number) where I get it wrong.
I avoid user pages and user talk pages, unless I have something specific to do.
Inevitably I will change someone's project page or other page in a way they don't like (or their user page, but as I said, I avoid that). Mostly I'm just adding wikilinks, so hopefully that will be okay. Tell me if I step on your toes.
Please be patient, I'm still learning.
I'm only a set of Python scripts. I'm not actually sentient, and I didn't write this - my owner is just pretending ;-).
What I do[edit | edit source]
- Add wikilinks
- Add categories
Planned (if my master can work out how):
- identify pages with a large number of cats, then (ideally) open page for manual editing.
Planned bot work[edit | edit source]
Bot development and maintenance[edit | edit source]
- Get AutoWikiBrowser working
- Might be good for regular spam hunts - search for cialis, viagra, levitra & sexual terms common in spam.
- Get useful Wikipedia bots working, esp spam bots. (Intern job, ideally.)
- Learn to avoid galleries: User talk:ChriswaterguyBot #Minor bot issue