Open design is the application of open source methods to the creation of physical products, machines and systems. For a great introduction see Stallman's essay "Why We Need Free Digital Hardware Designs"
Open design toolsEdit
- CoCreate - CoCreate OneSpace.net is a commercial "internet-based collaboration solution tuned to the specific needs of engineering teams. Clients, suppliers and team members can easily come together for online meetings and project reviews, visualize complex 3D designs and manage project documentation."
Open design projectsEdit
All designs at Appropedia are open in a sense, but some are more actively open.
Notes and referencesEdit
- Wikipedia:Open design
- Wikipedia:Open source hardware
- p2pfoundation:Product Hacking - extensive links
- p2pfoundation:Category:Design - extensive links
- MULTIMACHINE: DIY Open Source Machinery
- Product Hacking - by Stephen Vermeulen
- Chris Anderson Talks to PSFK About Open Source Technology
- Open Innovation Projects - Community driven directory of open source innovation projects
- Great summary of OSHW from a company perspective at SparkFun
- OSHW Quick Reference Guide
- Great example run down LEGAL PRACTICES OF DIDIY HARDWARE TECHNOLOGIES