How to avoid the heat island effect
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Keys to avoiding/mitigating urban heat islands:
- Keep roofs a lighter color (building codes, paint? Need an environmental impact assessment to compare painting with leaving as is.Category:Suggested projects[expand])
- Keep roads a lighter color - choosing a lighter color of bitumen or concrete (provided it's not so bright that it causes excessive glare for drivers).
- Higher, multi-level buildings, interspersed with green areas, rather than low rise sprawl with a majority of hard surfaces. (This is also preferable in terms of water permeability, avoiding excess stormwater runoff, and thus having better groundwater recharge.)
- Vegetation covering most of the land surface
- Green roofs - provided the extra weight doesn't mean excessive embedded energy.
- Green walls