CCAT companion planting
With the recent completetion of CCAT's Raised Garden Beds CCAT Raised Garden Beds CCAT thought it would be an excellent idea to plant companion plants within the beds. Part of my ENGR305 project was to design a plan for which plants to plant and to do research to see what plants work well together. CCAT is very excited to have the space for a vegetable garden, as of right now there is no real plot for vegetable cultivation.
Companion planting is a beneficial way of growing like fruits and vegetables together. CAT would like to utilize the small space they have within the Garden Beds to produce as much food as they can. The use of companion planting will be done within the beds to provide CCAT will some home grown goodness.
A Tad Bit of Research about Companion Planting
What is Companion Planting
Human beings are interesting creatures, we tend to relate to each other based on common interest. Plants, are very much so like humans, then tend to relate to one another based on simularities. Companion planting is the understanding out relationships have with one another. This was developed by gardeners, horticulturalists and farmers. One common scientific definition used to describe companion planting is "The placing together of plants having complementary physical demands. Many things needs to be taken into account when contemplating whether or not to use companion planting. Tha eg in which you decide to plant the seedling is critical, as well as how many of a certain variety of plant you choose to use is. It is important to understand the proximity in which you plant companion plant, because you don't want them to crowd one another. 
Happy and Healthy Plants
There are a variety of different plants that can be used with almost all of the plants in the plant community. These plants are called All-Around Beneficial Influence. Each other has it's own characteristic or aid to help plants remain happy and healthy. These plants include
- Lemon Balm-this is used to create a beneficial atmosphere around it's self and attract bees. Lemon Balm is member of the mint family.
- Marijoram- This plant has positive affect on surrounding plants
- Oregano-This plant also has positive affects on surrounding plants.
- Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica)- When used as a plant, this plant "Helps neighboring plants become more resistant to spoiling."  When used as a tea it will aid plant growth and maintain the strength of plants.
- Valerian- This plant helps stimulate phospherus activity in the soil. Supports health and disease resistant plants.
- Chamomile- Concentrates calcium, sulfer and potash in it's body. Lime specialist.
- Dandelion- Must be used in small amounts, helps most vegetables.
- Oak Tree- In a special tea, helps plants resist harmful diseases.
One of the best ways to maintain healthy plants is being aware of the spacing used when planting them. Plant allowing plant leaves to barely touch each other, this will allow companion friends to become true friends.
Another important thing not to forget is the quality of your soil. Stinging nettle is an excellent thing to add to soil, because it stimulates the microbial life, which will aid in plant growth. There are many ways to replenish soil that has already been depleted of nutrients. One is to sow thistle into the soil, this will bring up nutrients from the subsoil to aid in enriching the top soil.
What Plants are Compatable
- Jeavons,John. How to Grow More Vegetables . 6 ed. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press, 2002.