These tasks are being moved into Open Pario and will be linked to from here. Feel free to edit here if you like or jump on over to the new task management system. If you can help with any of these items, please add your name, a contact method and/or comments next to the one you can work on below, on the talk page, or in Open Pario.
The following list is transcluded on the Desired features page and some other pages, to draw attention to these requests.
Search for the word high on the Desired features page to see other items marked as possibly "high priority".
- Tasks #1098 (Proposed): New Skin
- See Appropedia:Skin
- Tasks #1101 (Proposed): Translation link
- Tasks #1102 (Proposed): Social & Forum Features
- Tasks #1103 (Proposed): Semantic MediaWiki
- Tasks #1104 (Proposed): Email Page to Friend
Tasks to migrate
- A box on the navbar letting people easily email friends about the page they're viewing. "Tell a friend about this site. Email addresses will not be saved or used for any other purpose."
- Map/geotagging features. (What do we want? Allow searching by distance from location...)
- Develop a plan for grading articles and flagging them according to accuracy, reliability, usefulness. This raises many issues, including the weighting given to ranking by regular users compared to "expert" users. The Flagged Revisions extension is likely to be important, and so is the voting extension used on http://usability.wikimedia.org/ .
- Banner for visitors from partner sites
- mobile site for Appropedia
Proven extensions and settings
- see Appropedia:Site development/dev site status
- these are working well on other sites, with no issues to resolve regarding how we want them to work. (List here.)
Extensions and settings to try out
- Check other wikipedia search features, Appropedia:Desired_features#Search_improvements.
- mw:Manual:wgForeignAPIRepo - allows us to specify another wiki to pull images from.
- ParserFunctions - the extension, or whatever gives Wikipedia the logical functions in templates, that we don't have.
- Semantic extension(s)
- Search for the words extension and manual on the Desired features page to see other items
- FlaggedRevisions or whatever Wikipedia went with... so we can let people suggest edits for all pages, even the front page.
- FCKeditor has a few problems - can help us to identify the areas of problem code, or even solve any of them?
- Forum add-on? (From above, "Social & forum features") Extensions exist but how well do they work?
- http://simplepressforum.com/ looks very well featured, and integrates with wordpress login.
- If we can work out an automatic Wordpress-MediaWiki cross-login, this would be much nicer, less confusing. OpenID behind the scenes?
newsletter with MailPress (I tried but couldn't get mail servers set up. --Chriswaterguy 21:25, 24 February 2010 (UTC))getting close now. --Chriswaterguy 06:19, 26 March 2010 (UTC) Fix RecentChanges cache (?) so it's possible to view more than 7 days.Solution: $wgRCMaxAge = 13 * 7 * 24 * 3600; // 13 weeks a simple code change which seems to produce something more like the intended results, at Appropedia:Site development/RC fix. mw:Extension:MultiUpload - speed file upload.Solved in concept - need to install. RSS feed - still getting blank line error in spite of extensive work to try and fix it (all the obvious fixes and a few obsure ones.) - Woozle gave a suggestion, which we'll follow up. --Chriswaterguy 04:04, 25 February 2010 (UTC)Inspired by Woozle's suggestion to look from a different angle, fixed by Jason Smithson.
Only add or remove items here by consensus or after discussion with an admin. There are many priorities - these are a select few. Only add or remove items here by consensus or after discussion with an admin.
Please add other priorities to Appropedia:Site development/Desired features in the appropriate section, using the standard template there.
Old priority items (resolved or no longer a priority):