If you can help with any of these tasks, please add your name, a contact method and/or comments next to the one you can work on. Or leave a message on the talk page here, or on the talk page of one of the active admins (Lonny, Chris or Curt).
Note: New features are tested first on the development site, so don't worry - you won't risk crashing Appropedia.
The following list is transcluded on the Desired features page and some other pages, to draw attention to these requests.
These are the very highest priorities for new features and fixes on Appropedia, in rough order. Can you find a concrete task (big or small) to help with? Leave a note on the talk page - thanks!
- New skin - help with any part of this:
- help install test skin on dev wiki - contact Chriswaterguy
- help choose color scheme. Like blog? Something completely different?
- edit CSS to achieve new color scheme.
- Should we use a suitable background image? E.g. find an development&aqi= open-licensed image with a background that won't clash. Must have mostly white top-left (to not clash with logo) and look okay when repeated across and down the page. Maybe choose a sky/clouds or leaves pattern and fade towards white?
- Translation link (Appropedia:Site_development/Desired_features#Translation - Machine translation from within the site.)
- Help with installing new extensions on the dev wiki - contact one of us (e.g. Chriswaterguy) for details.
- Social & forum features. E.g.
- Adding semantic features without some of the non-user-friendly aspects of Semantic MediaWiki.
- How does SMW work with FCKEditor?
- Which features of SMW should we turn on? (Off: Inline semantic information is probably confusing to newbies unless handled very cleverly in WYSIWYG. On: Allowing users to view the intersection of categories would be a very useful feature. On: Project tracking.)
- Which extensions do we install to achieve this?
- A box on the navbar letting people easily email friends about the page they're viewing. "Tell a friend about this site. Email addresses will not be saved or used for any other purpose."
- Map/geotagging features. (What do we want? Allow searching by distance from location...)
- Develop a plan for grading articles and flagging them according to accuracy, reliability, usefulness. This raises many issues, including the weighting given to ranking by regular users compared to "expert" users. The Flagged Revisions extension is likely to be important, and so is the voting extension used on http://usability.wikimedia.org/ .
- Banner for visitors from partner sites
- mobile site for Appropedia
- Search for the word high on the Appropedia:Site development/Desired features page to see other items marked as possibly "high priority".
- FCKeditor has a few problems - can help us to identify the areas of problem code, or even solve any of them?
Extensions and settings to try out:
- mw:Manual:wgForeignAPIRepo - allows us to specify another wiki to pull images from.
- ParserFunctions - the extension, or whatever gives Wikipedia the logical functions in templates, that we don't have.
- Wikipedia search features, Appropedia:Desired_features#Search_improvements. Including autosuggest: mw:Extension:OpenSearchXml - used on Wikipedia, works well.
- newsletter with MailPress (I tried but couldn't get mail servers set up. --Chriswaterguy 21:25, 24 February 2010 (UTC))
- Forum add-on? (From above, "Social & forum features") Extensions exist but how well do they work?
- http://simplepressforum.com/ looks very well featured, and integrates with wordpress login.
- If we can work out an automatic Wordpress-MediaWiki cross-login, this would be much nicer, less confusing. OpenID behind the scenes?
Fix RecentChanges cache (?) so it's possible to view more than 7 days.Solution: $wgRCMaxAge = 13 * 7 * 24 * 3600; // 13 weeks a simple code change which seems to produce something more like the intended results, at Appropedia:Site development/RC fix. mw:Extension:MultiUpload - speed file upload.Solved in concept - need to install. RSS feed - still getting blank line error in spite of extensive work to try and fix it (all the obvious fixes and a few obsure ones.) - Woozle gave a suggestion, which we'll follow up. --Chriswaterguy 04:04, 25 February 2010 (UTC)Inspired by Woozle's suggestion to look from a different angle, fixed by Jason Smithson.
Only add or remove items here by consensus or after discussion with an admin. There are many priorities - these are a select few. Only add or remove items here by consensus or after discussion with an admin.
Please add other priorities to Appropedia:Site development/Desired features in the appropriate section, using the standard template there.
Old priority items (resolved or no longer a priority):