Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
|I am Lonny, the founder of Appropedia.org, feel free to ask me a question.|
- 1 Campus Office Information
- 2 Office Schedule
- 3 Courses taught and Developed
- 4 Bio
- 5 Current Activities
- 6 Select Projects
- 7 Select Recent Presentations
- 8 Select Interviews and Mentions
Campus Office Information
- University: Humboldt State University
- Department: Environmental Resources Engineering
- U.S. Phone: +1 (707) 826-3649 x1
- School Email: lonnyhumboldtedu
- Other Email: lonnyappropediaorg or just click (must be logged in) to email me.
- Office Location: I am in Harry Griffith Hall 119B on the southwest corner of Harpst and B Streets.
Feel free to leave comments at the discussion tab above
Courses taught and Developed
- Engineering 114: Whole Earth Engineering
- also variants Whole Earth Engineering for the Desert and Whole Earth Engineering in Southern Mexico
- Engineering 210: Solid Mechanics Statics
- Engineering 215: Introduction to Design
- Engineering 280: Environmental Issues in Parras
- Engineering 280: Environmental Issues in Southern Mexico
- Engineering 280: Directed Study in Parras
- Engineering 280: Directed Study in Chiapas
- Engineering 305: Appropriate Technology
- also variants Appropriate Technology in the Desert, Appropriate Technology in Southern Mexico, and Appropriate Technology in Dominican Republic
- Engineering 308: Technology and the Environment
- Engineering 370: Energy, Technology and Society
- Environmental Science 370: Energy, Technology and Society
- Engineering 371: Energy Systems and Technology
- Engineering 480: Appropriate Technology Projects in Chiapas
- Engineering 480: Appropriate Technology Projects in Parras
- Engineering 480: Special topics in Dominican Republic
- Engineering 499: Upper Division Directed Study
- Environmental Studies 123: CCAT Practicum: Variable Topics (teacher mentor)
- Engineering 535: Development Technology (Co-taught)
University of Nevada Reno in partnership with the University of the Basque Country:
Humboldt County in partnership with College of the Redwoods and the California Conservation Corps:
Permaculture design course components and many other deep engagements, e.g.:
- Klamath Knot Permaculture
- Asheville Wise Water Management Workshop
- Foodineering - Food and engineering curriculum for middle school
Entrepreneurship and Innovation course components, e.g.:
- Manufacturing Innovation - Small Business Development Center
- Innovation - LATAM Business School
- Entrepreneurship curriculum development for various organizations and schools
Lonny Grafman is an Instructor of Environmental Resources Engineering and Appropriate Technology at Humboldt State University; the founder of the Practivistas summer abroad, full immersion, Spanish language and resilient community technology program in Dominican Republic; the Advisor for the epi-apocalyptic city art projects, Waterpod, Flock House, and WetLand; the Executive Editor of the International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering; the CEO of Propelsion, a design and creativity incubator in Humboldt County; and the Founder and President of the Appropedia Foundation, sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives. He is also a board member of engaged community organizations such as Locally Delicious, Thrivable, and Ashevillage Institute.
Lonny has taught courses at universities in four countries and facilitated interactive workshops in dozens of locations. He has worked, and led teams, on hundreds of domestic and international projects across a broad spectrum of sustainability - from solar power to improved cookstoves, from micro-hydro power to rainwater catchment, from earthen construction to plastic bottle schoolrooms. Throughout all of these technology implementations, he has found the most vital component to be community.
Humboldt State University
Developing and teaching courses in sustainable design, appropriate technology, international development, the environment, and energy.
- Chief Product Officer
Energy Made Visible
Promoting, facilitating and bolstering the sharing of knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.
International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering
- Executive Editor
"a free peer-reviewed electronic journal. The Journal welcomes manuscripts based on original work of students and researchers with a specific focus or implication for service learning in engineering, engineering entrepreneurship in service, or related service learning pedagogy."
Design Your Future
- Co-Creator with Prof. Beth Eschenbach
Teaching university, service learning based, sustainable engineering design in high school to engage students in the design process and encourage their entry into higher education. Developing sustainable design as context for curriculum.
- Founder, director, teacher
A summer immersion program in Spanish and Appropriate Technology since 2005. Founded, directed and taught, as well as co-founded and co-directed, programs in Parras de la Fuente, Mexico; San Cristóbal de las Casas, Mexico; and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- Project Manager
"What if healthy, fresh food could be a free public service, and not just an expensive commodity? That’s the question we really want to ask with Swale. Swale, a collaborative floating food project, is dedicated to rethinking and challenging New York City's connection to our environment. Built on a 130-foot by 40-foot floating platform, Swale contains an edible forest garden. Functioning as both a sculpture and a tool, Swale provides free healthy food at the intersection of public art and service. With Swale, we want to reinforce water as a commons, and work towards fresh food as a commons too."
Campus Center for Appropriate Technology
- Steering Committee member
"The mission of CCAT is to demonstrate appropriate technology in a residential setting, to provide hands-on experiential learning opportunities to Humboldt State University and the surrounding community, to collect and disseminate information about appropriate technology, to examine the ethical and social consequences of technology, and to dispel the myth that living lightly on the earth is difficult or burdensome. CCAT is dedicated to sustainability and seeks to help others live likewise."
- Sustainability and Appropriate Technology Advisor, Volunteer Coordinator
"Waterpod™ is a floating, sculptural, eco-habitat designed for the rising tides. It floated in 2009 from the Newtown Creek between Brooklyn and Queens, navigate down the East River, explore the waters of New York Harbor, docking at several Manhattan piers on the Hudson River before continuing onward. The Waterpod™ demonstrated future pathways for water-based innovations. As a sustainable, navigable living space, the Waterpod™ showcases the critical importance of the environment and art, serving as a model for new living, d.i.y. technologies, art, and dialogue."
- Sustainability Advisor
"Part fantastic and part practical living, mobile Flock House living systems are interstertial, are both autonomous and dependent on their local community and human relationships to care for, share amongst, collaborate, and corroborate with. As living systems, they are bridges for informal cross-discipline, cross-boundary, and cross-border notions of perimeter, property, and polity. Flock House represents migratory structures as part of a city’s ecology."
"Thrivable is a solution-focused consulting and training network helping individuals and organizations to cultivate abundance by developing agility, resilience, and adaptability."
- Board of Advisors
"Six women from the northern coast of California referring to themselves as "Heirloom Tomatoes" understand those changes and challenges and have put together a handbook for eating local with the intent of inspiring others to do the same." Now it is an organization doing even more. The second edition of the book is out and more projects are underway.
• Year: Role
• 2010: Advisor and Volunteer Coordinator
• 2012: Advisor and Resident
• 2011-2012: Founder and Director
• Year: Role
• Year: Role
Asheville Wise Water
• Year: Role
• Year: Role
• Year: Role
• Year: Role
Select Recent Presentations
- Flock House and a Dominican Schoolroom: Local Resources for Building Resilient Homes, Schoolrooms, and Communities (Poe Park, Bronx, New York) 
- First Annual Sustainable Building Conference 2012 (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)  
- Otros Mundos Appropriate Technologies (Spanish) August 3, 2010 (San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico)
- Resident Artist in the Flock House (June 23-24, 2010) (Brooklyn, New York, USA)
- Appropedia and Students 2010 (A few Universities including at Universidad del País Vasco, Spain)
- Energy Education Boxes May 2010 (Arcata, CA, USA)
- Community Created Humboldt/Jan 23 10 (Arcata, CA, USA)
- Open Sustainability Humboldt/Veterans Day 2009 (Eureka, CA, USA)
- Open Sustainability Network - Mid Missouri 2009 (Columbia, Missouri, USA)
- Brighter Lights, Better Living Expo 2009 (Portland, Oregon, USA)
- International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Poetry, Poetics and Travel Literature on Deserts of the World 2008 (Parras, Mexico)
- OSNCamp 2008 (San Francisco, CA, USA)
- IPIDAT 2008 (Zaragosa, Spain), 2009 (Indian Point, Maine, USA)
- SLAM Fest 2008 (Arcata, CA, USA)
- NCIIA 2008 (Houston, Texas, USA)
Select slide-shows can be seen at http://www.slideshare.net/lonny.
Select Interviews and Mentions
- New York Green Advocate
- ArchiExpo Floating Food Forest
- Brainstorming and Reflecting at CalPoly
- Expressing Thrivability
- Create Commons - World Without Waste
- Passionate Voices (long interview)
- MOMA - Make art not war (just a mention)
- DIVVII How one mentor was reminded to look at the big picture
- Highway1 China Recap
- Artist Lives in Futuristic Pod for Flock House Project
- Humboldt Magazine - Fall 2015 - Distinguished Alumni Award
- Inhabitat Interview - Sustainability Advisor Lonny Grafman on the Waterpod
- Nature Magazine - A floating island of sustainability
- Savoring Optimism Interview - Interview with Lonny Grafman
- The Journal - Water World
- Quoted in The Journal - Locally Delicious
- Humboldt Magazine - Plastic Bags
- Humboldt Magazine - Appropedia
- Humboldt Now - Dominican Republic
- Humboldt Now - Bike blender
- Huffington Post - Creativity: The Elephant in the Room
- Northcoast Environmental Center - Appropedia and Practivistas
- Art on Air - The Flock House and Dominicana Project
- Media Squat with Douglas Rushkoff - Lonny Grafman and the Yes Men, or directly streaming (starts around 5:30)
- Declare Your Independence with Ernest Hancock Interview - Lonny Grafman
- Greenway’s David Narum and Kirk Cohune interview - Lonny Grafman
- Episode #25: Appropedia Roundtable Part I
- Agroinnovations Podcast: Appropedia Roundtable Part II
- Short video from the Flock House
- Epicenter: Engineering is Innovation
- Diseño sostenible ambiental: Lonny Grafman en UNIBE (1/2)
- Appropriate Technologies, Near and Far @ CalPoly
Here are some books that I have been part of creating and/or that I am in.
- To Catch the Rain: Inspiring stories of communities coming together to harvest their own rainwater, and how you can do it too by Lonny Grafman ISBN 978-1947112049 (available at http://www.tocatchtherain.org)
- Atrapando la lluvia: Historias inspiradoras de comunidades que se unieron para recolectar su propia agua pluvial, y cómo usted también puede hacerlo by Lonny Grafman ISBN 978-1947112100
- InGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity by Tina Seelig ISBN 978-0062020703
- Thrivability: A collaborative Sketch curated by Jean Russel
- The Myths of Creativity: The Truth About How Innovative Companies and People Generate Great Ideas by David Burkus ISBN 978-1118611142
- Open-Source Lab: How to Build Your Own Hardware and Reduce Research Costs by Joshua Pearce ISBN 978-0124104860
- Convergence: Philosophies and Pedagogies for Developing the Next Generation of Humanitarian Engineers and Social Entrepreneurs by IJSLE
- Locally Delicious: Recipes and Resources for Eating on the North Coast by Locally Delicious ISBN 978-0982942604
- Lunchbox Envy: An Adventure in Healthy Eating for Kids and Families by Locally Delicious ISBN 978-0982942611