We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
TB Rapid Test Project
Problem being addressed
Rapid diagnosis is critical for the treatment and containment of tuberculosis. Traditional methods are either both expensive and time consuming or inaccurate. In resource-limited areas, finding an inexpensive, accurate, and timely solution is necessary to help curb the spread of TB.
Detailed description of the solution
TB Rapid Test (TBRT) Project utilizes over 2500 serum/saliva samples that have been collected from patients. The project seeks to identify antigens that characterize the many strains of tuberculosis. The TBRT provides about 70% sensitivity, a specificity of 95%, and faster results. The reduced diagnostic delay and expedited referral and treatment can help to reduce the number of TB infections, especially in resource-limited areas where waiting for diagnostic results is not always practical.
- Designed by: Carol Holm-Hansen from Norwegian Institute of Public Health (primary investigator)
- Manufacturer (if different): n/a
- Manufacturer location: n/a
When and where it was tested/implemented
Test samples have been collected from patients across the globe.
Received grant from Grand Challenges in Global Health (May 2010). Also has funding from Norwegian Institute of Public Health and the Research Council of Norway.
Other internally generated reports
- Holm-Hansen C. “Development of a rapid serological screening test for TB” (2011). Retrieved on Aug 1, 2014 from http://www.edctpforum.org/2011/wp-content/uploads/presentations/to11_carol_holm-hansen.pdf.
- Norwegian Institute of Public Health. “Norwegian Institute of Public Health receives $100,000 Grand Challenges Explorations Grant for innovative health research” (Jun 8, 2010). Retrieved on Aug 1, 2014 from http://www.fhi.no/eway/default.aspx?pid=240&trg=Content_6715&Main_6664=6898:0:25,8193:1:0:0:::0:0&MainContent_6898=6715:0:25,8197:1:0:0:::0:0&Content_6715=6683:84538::1:6717:6:::0:0.
Externally generated reports
- Grand Challenges in Global Health. “Grand Challenges Explorations Grants” (2010). Retrieved on Aug 1, 2014 on http://www.grandchallenges.org/Explorations/Pages/GrantsAwarded.aspx?Topic=Diagnostics&Round=all&Phase=1.