Practivistas Dominicana/what to bring< Practivistas Dominicana
What to bringEdit
Here is an incomplete list of items to pack for the Practivistas Dominicana Program.
- reusable water bottle
- travel umbrella, light
- beach towel
- Work gloves
- Work clothes
- lightweight raincoat
- Waterproof shoes
- antibacterial tissues
- cotton socks
- comfortable clothes for heat
- very comfortable walking shoes
- formal summer outfit (for formal occasions)
- hat for the sun
- moneybelt (optional - serves to bring some money and save things for personal use)
- sandals (optional)
- pocket money ($300 USD) [ATM card is safer]
- a small gift for your family (e.g. something from Humboldt)
- a dictionary (English / Spanish etc.)
- pens, pencil, eraser, notebook
- a calculator
- a shirt that read: "Humboldt State University” (optional)
- Memory Stick for use with computer.
- Any small equipment you would like to use/donate (e.g. hammer, multimeter, screwdriver, etc.)
- Head lamp or flashlight
- Container to store food for lunch in.
Optional: At Your Own RiskEdit
- Laptop Computer (This will help a lot with assignments. The school facilities have wifi, but no computers. Alternatively you can use cybercafes.)
- Music player
- Musical instruments
- In Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic there are well stocked drug stores, but it is recommended to bring creams, sunscreen (very expensive in Santo Domingo), and deodorant of your choice.
- Many of items listed above can be found in Santo Domingo (and finding them there can be a fun way to get to know the city).
The exchange rate as of September 23rd, 2014 is about 43.6 Dominican Pesos (DOP) per dollar (USD). See http://www.google.com/search?q=USD+in+DOP for more current information.