Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Sepp Holzer Permaculture
Sepp Holzer is a well known permaculturalist whose work is well documented.[verification needed] He developed his style independently from mainstream permaculture, on his family's property in the Austrian Alps in the early 1960s. As with the permaculture pioneered by Bill Mollison and David Holmgren, he focused on observing and following ecological patterns. In his youth he began experimenting informally with native plants.
He refers to his methods and pratice as "Holzer Permaculture" (German: "Holzer'sche Permakultur") as opposed to "Permaculture" per se. This might be something to do with the tendency of people to say "you can't do that because that isn't permaculture." By saying that what he is doing is "Holzer Permaculture" then he can do what he thinks is best without having to address about the infinite interpretations of the books of others.[verification needed]
Aspects of "Holzer Permaculture" include:
- a focus on the needs of gardening in a cold climate, raising temperatures and creating micro-climates with rocks, ponds and living wind barriers.
- use of animal labor, e.g. using pigs to plow his fields for sowing.
- An extreme use of intercropping method, mixing 30 or more different types of seeds in a bucket and scattering them.
- The use of hugelkultur a form of extreme raised beds incorporating wood in the bottom.
- SeppHolzer.at - Official website
- Sepp Holzer's Permaculture - includes practical advice heard from Holzer, with pictures and video.
- Broadcasting Seed mixes- Sepp Holzer style or otherwise - permies.com
- Maddy Harland and Paul Wheaton - podcast on Sepp Holzer's work in desert Portugal, as well as his (and other well-appreciated permaculturists') books
- Paul Wheaton's Eco Scale a youtube where Paul Wheaton uses Sepp Holzer as a "10" on his "Eco Scale"
- Brief video on Sepp Holzer's animal shelters
- Forum Topic on Sepp Holzer
|This page is a "stub" - it needs more content.
You are invited to.