Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
- Dr. Mabee
- Dr. Bruce Anderson
- Dr. Pakalnis
- 1 CMAS 801 Topics in Applied Sustainability
CMAS 801 Topics in Applied Sustainability
Applied sustainability is the application of science and innovation to meet human needs while indefinitely preserving the life support systems of the planet. This course provides an overview of the field with particular focus on implementation of engineering solutions. The course will be divided into three sections in which the technical and policy-related issues will be explored: 1) Sustainable Energy Technologies, 2) Sustainability and Fresh Water Systems and 3) Sustainable Resource Management.
In the first section, the engineering necessary to transition from a nuclear and fossil fuel-based energy system to one utilizing a portfolio of sustainable energy technologies will be detailed. The use of thermodynamics, energy, and dynamic life cycle analyses will be used to provide the basis for comparison between technologies.
In the second section, society's unsustainable use of water will be examined and changes utilizing ecological principles and biomimicry necessary to meet the goal of long-term strategic and sustainable fresh water systems will be analyzed.
In the third section, the historically challenging problem of resource management will be studied to provide safe, environmentally friendly and socially benign methods of resource extraction and waste disposal.
In each section, emphasis will be given to the policy relevance of topics covered, including our ability to measure sustainability, develop lower-risk strategic plans and integrate technical concepts into planning and design.
Required Course Materials
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things (Paperback)by William McDonough and Michael Braungart, 2002.
- Assorted Journal Papers will be referenced in class and made available here
The course will be broken up into four main components taught by an expert in the sub-field of Applied Sustainability (energy, policy, water, and resources). Lectures will concentrate on the presentation of theory with some simple examples. There will be a project for each of the sub-fields.
Course website: http://www.appropedia.org/CMAS801
|CMAS801 Sustainable Energy Project||25|
|CMAS801 Energy Policy Project||25|
|CMAS801 Sustainable Water Project||25|
|CMAS801 Sustainable Resource Project||25|
- Deduct 10% per day, up to 5 working days, then 0 mark. Only exception is for documented illness – Reg. 5d) – missed projects are penalized by the negative square of the percent total.
Policy on Academic Dishonesty – Plagiarism:
Schedule (by week)
- Energy 1
- Introduction to course, What is applied sustainability?, Open Source Energy Development by the DOE, Sustainable Energy Project Assigned
- The Sustainable Energy Challenge
- Energy 2
- Energy 3
- Policy 1
- Policy 2
- Policy 3
- Water 1
- Water 2
- Water 3
- Resources 1
- Resources 2
- Resources 3
Energy Related Journals
- Akshay Urja ( 2005 ) Renewable Energy newsletter of the Indian Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
- Applied Energy 1.006 (2006)
- Boiling Point ( 1982 ) Boiling Point is a practitioner’s journal for those working with household energy and stoves
- Cogeneration & Distributed Generation Journal
- Distributed Generation and Alternative Energy Journal This new journal replaces the Cogeneration and Distributed Generation Journal - quarterly publication of the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE),published by Taylor & Francis, four (4) issues per year.
- Energy 1.172(2007)
- Energy Economics
- Energy and the Environment (severe delay, editors are climate change skeptics, see wikipedia's entry on them)
- Energy & Environmental Science new
- Energy Journal 0.707 (2005) - covers energy economics
- Energy Policy (2010:2.436)
- Energy Sources 0.465 (2005)
- International Journal of Global Energy Issues (IJGEI)
- International Journal of Energy, Environment and Economics
- The Journal of Fundamentals of Renewable Energy and Applications new open access for fee
- International Journal of Photoenergy (2010:1.494) open access
- International Journal of Sustainable Energy - new
- International Journal of Energy Research 0.380 (2005)
- Journal of Engineering for Sustainable Development: Energy, Environment, and Health
- Journal of Global Energy Issues - new
- Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy New 2008 AIP journal
- Journal of Solar Energy Engineering
- Proceedings of ICE, Energy (new 2007)
- Renewable Energy 0.795 (2005)
- Solar Energy 0.868 (2005)
- Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 2.002(2005)
Pages in category "CMAS801"
The following 16 pages are in this category, out of 16 total.