Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Bicycle Brake Caliper
Bicycle Brake Caliper
Project developed by Albert Cowsky
Brake Calipers are an important component required to build a bicycle. In order to build a cheaper, open source, bicycle, the calipers can be printed and fitted with brake pads. Open source bicycles could reduce the cost of transportation for people that cannot afford to buy a commercial bicycle. This project can be combined with others to make a largely cheaper and printable bicycle.
Bill of Materials
(Makes Two Calipers)
- 2x Commercial Brake Pads Cost = $4.98
- 8x M6x1 Torx Bolts Cost = $0.63
- 8x M6 Nuts Cost = $0.04
- 8x M6 Washers Cost = $0.05
- 1x Brake Line Guide Cost = $1.59 (For two)
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
(I do not currently have all the necessary materials so they will not all be shown here. I will update this in the future if I get a chance to actually implement it.)
Print time = 3 hours per caliper. 6 hours total
Assembly time = approximately 15 minutes
- Remove parts from the print bed
- Attach the base of the calipers to the fork of the bicycle with bolts.
- Use a washer on the far side before putting the nut on.
- Install brake pads into inward facing cylinders.
- Connect the cable guide receiver to the right caliper with a bolt.
- Put the cable guide into the receiver.
- Run a bolt backwards through the top of the left caliper.
- Add a washer and screw the nut most of the way on.
- Adjust the brakes so there is only a small clearance (~3mm) between the brake pads and the wheel wall.
- Wrap the brake cable around the bolt underneath the washer.
- Tighten the nut down to secure the brake cable.
Common Problems and Solutions
- Brake line comes loose
- Ensure that the bolts are still properly tightened every few weeks
- Total Cost (two calipers) = $19.60
- Commercial Component Cost = $17.31
- Plastic Cost - 99.4g (49.7 each) at $23/kg = $2.29
- |Commercial Calipers
- $16-$40 each
- $32-$40 for two
- $12.4 - $20.4 savings for two calipers
- 38.75% - 51% savings