Just some sample ideas to get you started.
- These are examples, not the whole scope of acceptable articles (which would amount to many thousands of topics). Appropedia's scope is very broad and there are important areas which haven't been added here (yet).
- Where a comment or link after a title below, it is simply a suggestion - the editor should make an assessment of whether it is a valuable resource.
- If an article is created from one of these, the title can be removed from this page once it has become at reasonable stub page.
A decent page will include at least a description, mention of context, mention of alternative perspectives, several "See also" links and at least one good quality link under "External links."
- Special:WantedPages is an auto-generated page which shows the redlinks on Appropedia in order of how often they occur. Some of these can be made into redirects. Others need new articles on the topic.
If you want to improve an existing basic article, see:
- Food and agriculture
- Food and Agriculture Organization (& redirect from FAO)
- Sustainable fisheries
- Guide to buying seafood - http://www.caelusgreenroom.com/2011/09/19/8-tips-for-sustainable-seafood/
Permaculture design and other good practices
- Specific techniques on each of the principles of permaculture.
- Check curriculum of a PDC (Permaculture Design Course]] - choose one aspect/component/principle for an article.
- Chemical fertilizers (split fertilizers?)
- Agricultural chemicals
- Agroecology - note references here: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2017612869_guest28ashton.html
Built environment and construction
- New Urbanism and transit-oriented design (or transit-oriented development). These also have many subtopics which deserve articles
- New Pedestrianism
- Smart growth
- Urban sprawl (currently redirects to urbanization which does not address the topic)
- Automobile dependence
- Sustainability and Cities: Overcoming Automobile Dependence - short stub now, could do with a summary of the book's arguments.
- Livable streets:
- Earth-covered houses
- Sustainable housing aka green housing - subtopic of green building.
- Energy efficiency retrofits. Note for example the work done by the Clinton Foundation, facilitating the upgrading of office buildings for energy efficiency.
- Solar space heating
- (something about pavements, stormwater and permeable surfaces. Note Permeable pavements and Groundwater recharge.
- Any of the building elements - windows, doors, thermal insulation...
- Embedded energy of buildings
- Materials: glass, cement, concrete...
- See more ideas at this thread.
Business and industry
Sustainable business practices, including:
- Sustainable business purchasing. (Green Purchasing Asia may be a useful source - open access, and friendly to Appropedia, but copyright so can't copy large slabs verbatim.)
Carbon cycles and climate change
(Consider wider issues around carbon, including carbon cycles, ocean acidity, other aspects of air pollution, and energy security, though obviously climate change is a particularly important aspect of carbon issues.)
Carbon management and climate mitigation policies:
- Carbon price, Carbon markets (one article to start, possibly separate articles later)
- Carbon cycle
- Carbon tax
- Low-carbon economy
- Energy innovation policies
- Kyoto Protocol
Look at climate change policies and possible response in specific regions, e.g.
Low carbon technologies:
- Population. (Note David Attenborough's new documentary looking at human population.)
- Peak stuff - http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21886-peak-planet-are-we-starting-to-consume-less.html
- Environmental impact assessment
- Environmental services - recognizing the value of services provided to humans by the environment. Important aspect of environmental accounting.
- Natural environment
- Environmental impact
- Anaerobic bacteria
- Aerobic bacteria
- Invasive species
- Sustainable forest management
- Forest management
- Illegal logging
- Natural forests (and then turn Forest and Forests, now redirects to Forestry, into a disambiguation page.)
- Energy forestry
- Environmental design
- Environmental health
- Environmental movement
- Environmental engineering
See also industrial ecology topics under #Industry.
- Green economics
- Discount rate for environmental goods
- Environmental economics
- Environmental accounting and environmental management accounting - intro at http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/bus/accounting/whatisema.asp
- Natural resources
- Ecological economics
- Environmental finance
- Post-growth economics or post-growth society. Note the criticisms of the idea, and the ways in which "post-growth" is used. (The exact meaning in economics terms is probably not grasped by the majority of the people who talk about it.)
- Electricity generation
- Stirling engines
- Solar thermal energy - solar towers (and/or parabolic arrays) with molten salt.
- Solar radiation
- Grid energy storage
- Dealing with intermittent energy production - energy storage; quick-cycling power plants such as LNG plants; ...are there other options?
- Hydrogen economy
- Thermal energy
- Energy forestry
- Energy density
- Energy development
- Wave power
- Wind farms
- Microgeneration/Distributed generation
Mathematics and statistics
- Common errors in statistics - see 5 Ways Statistics Are Used to Lie to You Every Day | Cracked.com - relevant to many areas of debate re environment & development.
- Find good science-based advice such as http://withouthotair.com/
- Efficient energy use
- Sustainable clothing. One info source: look up Alice Payne's "Think Lifecycle" (interviewed on an ABC.net.au podcast, but might be more useful.)
- Take tips such as these and give them some order - multiple pages, apply some critical thinking, start to identify the key actions based on the 80-20 rule (that 20% of the effort is likely to give 80% of the benefit).
- http://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk/blog/2012/03/pink-telephones-in-cambodia - at least a mention on Mobile_phones_in_development_and_disaster_management, maybe its own article too
Status of development:
- See UNDP reports on specific topics, or chapters of their human development report.
- Millennium Development Goals
- Base articles on chapters/sections in the World Bank's Participation Sourcebook and/or similar documents.
- Psychology of environmental action
- Environmentalism (currently redirect to Sustainable development
- Environmental justice
- Sustainable art
- Environmental sociology
- Examine the effectiveness of competing policies for environmental or poverty-reduction outcomes. (Look at think tank publications - summaries of good reports can be valuable wiki articles, e.g. Grattan Institute's reports on energy and carbon policies.)
Wastewater and sanitation
Water quality and analysis:
- Sand filter
- Water filters (currently only content is about one specific filtration project)
- Slow sand filtration - but sure to consider why they aren't more widely used (i.e. what contexts are they good for?)
Transition towns & related topics
Unclear and "big picture" articles
These are suitable for keen students who have become familiar with Appropedia over some months.
In most cases the aim will be to start an overview of a broad topic, and linking it to suitable Appropedia pages, giving short summaries as appropriate.
To be sorted
- Environmental ethics
- United Nations Development Programme
- Agenda 21
- Global dimming
- Glossary of climate change
- Rural community
- Open sustainability
- Mass production
- Mechanical engineering
- Carbon monoxide
- Convention on Biological Diversity
- Local production
- North America
- Small-scale technologies
- Famine (currently redirects to Malnutrition
- Environmental chemistry
- Electric motor
- Birth control
- Electrical engineering
- The Laboratory of Community Alternative Technologies at Ajusco
- Traffic congestion
- Sea level rise
- Climate model
- Landscape architecture
- Waste water
- Carbon nanotubes
- International Conference on Population and Development
- Deep ecology
- Climate change mitigation
- Fossil fuel power plant
- Self sufficient
- Urban renewal
- Intellectual property
- Green Revolution
- Food quality
- Environmental history
- Land reform
- Air conditioner
- Dengue fever
- Ecological niche
- Cascading Style Sheets
- Emission Trading System
- Poverty reduction
- Radioactive waste
- Tensile strength
- United States Agency for International Development
- Nitrogen fixation
- Sono arsenic filter
- Work (physics)
- Power supply
- Ecology movement
- Solar air conditioning
- Sustainable procurement
- Timber rafting
- Restoration ecology
- 2009 United Nations Climate Change Conference
- Variable retention
- Product design
- Ultraviolet light
- Food waste
- Feed-in tariff
- Anal cleansing
- List of onshore wind farms
- Rio Declaration on Environment and Development
- Environmental biotechnology
- Third World
- Activated sludge
- Ocean acidification
- Passive house
- Earth Day
- Deepwater Horizon oil spill
- Light pollution
- International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
- Traditional knowledge
- Earth Charter
- Bioregional democracy
- Drainage basin
- Ecological succession
- Solar power satellite
- Simple machine
- Reproductive rights
- Wood fuel
- Passive solar building design
- El Niño Southern Oscillation
- Humanitarian aid
- Wind power in India
- National park
- Cascading Style Sheet
- Diesel fuel
- Environmental skepticism
- Electrolysis of water
- Landscape ecology
- Global Ecovillage Network
- Waste heat
- Sustainable landscape architecture
- DIV (HTML tag)
- Vegetable oil used as fuel
- Crank position sensor
- Power station
- See also Category:Suggested projects - each page will have a "suggested project" tag, which in many cases is an idea for researching a topic.