If you can help with any of these tasks, please add your name next to the one you can work on (if you can commit to working on it). Or leave a message on the talk page here, or on the talk page of one of the active admins (Lonny, Chris or Curt).
Note: New features are tested first on the development site, so don't worry - you won't risk crashing Appropedia.
Site development/Desired features The following list is transcluded on and some other pages, to draw attention to these requests.
These are the very highest priorities for new features and fixes on Appropedia, in rough order. Can you find a concrete task (big or small) to help with?
- New skin - very important to make Appropedia an enjoyable and usable site for visitors.
- Social & forum features within our MediaWiki or Wordpress sites?
- Adding semantic features without some of the non-user-friendly aspects of Semantic MediaWiki. How does SMW work with FCKEditor? Which features of SMW should we turn on? (Off: Inline semantic information is probably confusing to newbies unless handled very cleverly in WYSIWYG. On: Allowing users to view the intersection of categories would be a very useful feature. On: Project tracking.)
- Fix RecentChanges cache (?) so it's possible to view more than 7 days.
- A box on the navbar letting people easily email friends about the page they're viewing. "Tell a friend about this site. Email addresses will not be saved or used for any other purpose."
- Map/geotagging features. (What do we want? Allow searching by distance from location...)
- Develop a plan for grading articles and flagging them according to accuracy, reliability, usefulness. This raises many issues, including the weighting given to ranking by regular users compared to "expert" users. The Flagged Revisions extension is likely to be important, and so is the voting extension used on http://usability.wikimedia.org/ .
- mw:Manual:wgForeignAPIRepo - allows us to specify another wiki to pull images from.
- mw:Extension:MultiUpload - speed file upload.
- ParserFunctions - the extension, or whatever gives Wikipedia the logical functions in templates, that we don't have.
- Banner for visitors from partner sites
There are many priorities - these are a select few. Only add or remove items here by consensus or after discussion with an admin.
Please add other priorities to Appropedia:Desired Features in the appropriate section, using the standard template there.
Old priority items (resolved or no longer a priority):