We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
Appropedia:Citations in the literature
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 19:29, 24 January 2015 by Localizeyourlife (→Papers on the Use of Appropedia to improve the pedagogy of service learning)
Papers Utilizing Appropedia as a Source
- Kreye, Melissa M. "Metal accumulation in gill epithelium and liver tissue in steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) reared in reclaimed wastewater", Thesis (M.S.)--Humboldt State University, Natural Resources: Wastewater Utilization Program, 2008.
- Urmila Balasubramaniyam, Llionel S. Zisengwe, Niccoló Meriggi, Eric Buysman, Biogas production in climates with long cold winters, Wageningen, May 2008.
- James A. West and Margaret L. West, "Using Wikis for Online Collaboration: The Power of the Read-Write Web", Jossey-Bass (December 15, 2008).
- Judy Matthews, "Innovation for Sustainability: Seeking Water Solutions in an Urban Environment",Paper prepared for 16th Annual Conference on Pacific Basin Finance, Economics, Accounting and Management (PBFEAM) Conference 2- 4 July 2008.
- R. E. Carbone and J. M. Pearce,“Connecting Mathematics and the Applied Science of Energy Conservation”, The Journal of Mathematics and Science: Collaborative Explorations, 11, pp. 233-243, 2009.open access
- Vaibhav Malhotra, José L. Fernández Solís, Sarel Lavy, Michael Neuman, "Feasibility of an Off-Grid Renewable Energy Source for the Mercantile Sector", Journal of Green Building 5(1) (2010), pp.71-87. doi: 10.3992/jgb.5.1.71
- Taha Hassan, Mokhtar Ashour, "Shrinkage of Natural Plastering Materials for Straw Bale Buildings Affected by Reinforcement Fibres and Drying",Agricultural Engineering International: The CIGR EJournal., Vol 12, No 1 (2010).
- Lorna Dwyer, "Biopiracy, Trade and Sustainable Development",Colorado Journal of International Environmental Law and Policy., Vol 19 p. 219 (2008).
- S. WOITTE, M. Fleer, M. Hedegaard, & J. Tudge (Eds.), "Childhood Studies and the Impact of Globalization: Policies and Practices at Global and Local Levels", Alberta Journal of Educational Research, North America, 56, Oct. (2010).
Papers Discussing Appropedia as a Tool for OSAT Development
- A. J. Buitenhuis, I. Zelenika and J. M. Pearce, “Open Design-Based Strategies to Enhance Appropriate Technology Development”, Proceedings of the 14th Annual National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance Conference : Open, March 25-27th 2010, pp. 1-12. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce and Usman Mushtaq, “Overcoming Technical Constraints for Obtaining Sustainable Development with Open Source Appropriate Technology”, Science and Technology for Humanity (TIC-STH), 2009 IEEE Toronto International Conference, pp. 814-820, 26-27 Sept. 2009.open access
- J. Corbett, J. Webster, K. Sayili, I. Zelenika-Zovko, and J. Pearce, “Developing and Justifying Energy Conservation Measures: Green IT under Construction” Proceedings of the Sixteenth Americas Conference on Information Systems, Lima, Peru, August 12-15, 2010. pp 1-8.
- Pearce J., Albritton S., Grant G., Steed G., & Zelenika I. 2012. A new model for enabling innovation in appropriate technology for sustainable development. Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy 8(2) Published online Aug 20, 2012. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, “Open Source Research in Sustainability”, Sustainability: the Journal of Record, 5(4), pp. 238-243, 2012. DOI free and open access
- Ivana Zelenika & Joshua M. Pearce, "The Internet and other ICTs as tools and catalysts for sustainable development: innovation for 21st century", Information Development, November 20, 2012 0266666912465742, doi: 10.1177/0266666912465742. abstract available online
- Joshua M. Pearce, "The case for open source appropriate technology", Environment, Development and Sustainability, June 2012, 14 (3), pp. 425-431
- Sunter, P. Watkins, C. "Issues in Developing a G/Local knowledge Network for Transport Reform Utilizing Appropedia", CIRN Prato Community Informatics Conference 2013, (non-refereed paper)
- Zelenika, I., Pearce, J.M. "Innovation through collaboration: scaling up solutions for sustainable development" Environment, Development and Sustainability 16 (6) pp 1299-1316 March, 2014
Google Scholar Citations of Appropedia
For the latest list of peer-reviewed literature citing Appropedia see Google Scholar Citations of Appropedia
- 32 May 13, 2010
- 44 Aug 22, 2010
- 90 Nov 27, 2011
- 147 Aug 21, 2012
- 166 Jan 24, 2013
- 193 Aug 20, 2013
- 319 Jan 23, 2015
Papers on the Use of Appropedia to improve the pedagogy of service learning
- Joshua M. Pearce, Lonny Grafman, Thomas Colledge, and Ryan Legg, “Leveraging Information Technology, Social Entrepreneurship and Global Collaboration for Just Sustainable Development” Proceedings of the 12th Annual National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance Conference, pp. 201- 210, 2008. open access
- Eleanor ter Horst and Joshua M. Pearce, “Foreign Languages and the Environment: A Collaborative Instructional Project”, The Language Educator, pp. 52-56, October, 2008. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce and Eleanor ter Horst “Appropedia and Sustainable Development for Improved Service Learning”, Proceedings of Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education 2008 .
- Joshua M. Pearce, “Appropedia as a Tool for Service Learning in Sustainable Development”, Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, 3(1), pp.45-53, 2009. Q-Space pre-print open access
- S. Murphy and N. Saleh, "Information literacy in CEAB’s accreditation criteria: the hidden attribute", In Proceedings of the The Sixth International Conference on Innovation and Practices in Engineering Design and Engineering Education, 2009. Hamilton, ON July 27-29, 2009.
- Joshua M. Pearce and Eleanor ter Horst, “Overcoming Language Challenges of Open Source Appropriate Technology for Sustainable Development in Africa”, Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa, 11(3) pp.230-245, 2010. open access
- Côme, F. et. al. "Driving Engineering Education to Meet Future Challenges" Société Européenne pour la Formation des Ingénieurs 40 2014
- Eleanor ter Horst and Joshua M. Pearce, “Foreign Languages and Sustainability: Addressing the Connections, Communities and Comparisons Standards in Higher Education”, Foreign Language Annals 43(3), pp. 365–383 (2010). open access
- K. Branker, J. M. Pearce, J. Corbett, and J. Webster, “Engineering Service Learning with Green Information Technology and Systems Projects”, Conference Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association (CEEA) 2010 Conference, Paper 6, (2010). open access
- K. Sienko, A. Sarvestani and L. Grafman, "Medical device compendium for the developing world: a new approach in project and service-based learning for engineering graduate students", Global Journal of Engineering Education, Volume 15, Number 1 (2013)
- Hoepfl, M. "Appropriate Technology as a Basis for a Technology Education Curriculum" Conference: Technology Education for the Future—A Play on Sustainability, 2-6 Dec 2013,Christchurch, New Zealand
- Branker, K. et. al. Hybrid Virtual- and Field Work-based Service Learning with Green Information Technology and Systems Projects" IJSLE 5(2)
- Koch, M. et.al. "On the Utilization of Web-Based Collaboration Tools by Student Design Teams" ASME digital collection 2010 6 pp. 321-329
Books mentioning Appropedia
- UNESCO's first report on Engineering Report Engineering: Issues Challenges and Opportunities for Development (p275) - ISBN 9789231041563
- Recommended in the Citizen Engineer: A Handbook for Socially Responsible Engineering (Ch9 p108) - http://citizenengineer.org/?q=node/12 - ISBN 0137143923
- Jamil Shariff 50 Green Projects for the Evil Genius (p182) - ISBN 0071549595
- James A. West, Margaret L. West Using wikis for online collaboration: the power of the read-write Web (p123) - ISBN 0470343338
- Shaun Chamberlin, Rob Hopkins The Transition Timeline: For a Local, Resilient Future (p169) - ISBN 1603582002
- H. El-naser Management of scarce water resources: a Middle Eastern experience (p190) - ISBN 184564414X
- Nasir El Bassam Handbook of Bioenergy Crops: A Complete Reference to Species, Development and Applications (p234) - ISBN 184407854X
- Stephen Hren, Rebekah Hren The Carbon-Free Home: 36 Remodeling Projects to Help Kick the Fossil-Fuel Habit (p193) - ISBN 1933392622
- Holly Ashley, Jon Corbett, et al.Change at hand: web 2.0 for development (p111) - ISBN 1843697165
- Robert Cox Environmental Communication and the Public Sphere (p258) - ISBN 1412972116
- Linton Wells STAR-TIDES and Starfish Networks: Supporting Stressed Populations with Distributed Talent (p11)
- Sustainability: Biomimicry, Biosecurity, Drawbridge Mentality, Peak Oil, Environmental Governance, Peak Uranium, Appropriate Technology ISBN 1157671012
- 2007 Establishments: Eastover, North Carolina, London Overground, Florida Championship Wrestling, Indian Premier League ISBN 1157678424
- Mediawiki Websites: Project Gutenberg, Enciclopedia Libre Universal en Español, Wikileaks, Conservapedia, Citizendium, Uncyclopedia ISBN 1157472494
- Appropriate Technology Organizations: One Laptop Per Child, Peace Corps, Worldchanging, Village Earth, Freeplay Foundation ISBN 1157590497
- Steve Daniels Making Do: Innovation in Kenya's Informal Economy (p115) - http://analoguedigital.com/makingdo/
- Sean Brodrick The Ultimate Suburban Survivalist Guide: The Smartest Money Moves to Prepare For Any Crisis (p237) - ISBN 0470463163
- Robin Mills Capturing Carbon: The New Weapon in the War Against Climate Change (p380) - ISBN 978-0-231-70186-0
- Guillaume Fabre The Low-Carbon Buildings Method 2011 (p35) - ISBN 1435784669
- Brian A. Nejmeh Service-Learning in the Computer and Information Sciences: Practical Applications in Engineering Education (p138, 311, 314-328) - ISBN 978-1118100349
- S Uehara, M Imai - US Patent 7,621,665, 2009. Light source device, display device, terminal device, and optical member