New book - 'Building a Better World in Your Backyard' - on Kickstarter (sponsored friend)
ASA Literature Review
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
Search term: Properties of ASA plastic
Rabinovitch, Elvira B., and James W. Summers. United States US6855402B2, filed May 7, 2002, and issued February 15, 2005. Weather resistant plastic composites capped with polyethylene terephthalate glycol (PETG) for outdoor exposures.
- ASA resists sunlight and oxygen as well as providing weather resistance and impact strength
- Provides rigidity, moldability ease, and shape retaining characteristics
Search term: ASA plastic
Plastic Molded Concepts (blog), September 11, 2017. ASA Resin
- ASA is used primarily for exterior siding, automotive side mirror housings, signage, and marine applications
- Creates a toxic smoke when burned
- Provides thermal stability and chemical resistance
Search term: Alibaba ASA pellets
"Asa Pellets Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.ComPlastic Masterbatches.” Accessed July 8, 2018. ASA Pellets
- In bulk, from Alibaba, ASA pellets can range in price anywhere between 800 and 3000 dollars/metric ton
- The more plastic you order (from this source) the cheaper it becomes (per metric ton)
Search term: How is ASA plastic made?
Machine Design, November 15, 2002. ASA
- ASA is a terpolymer
- Can be created by a patented, proprietary reaction process or a graft process
- Heat deflection temps for ASA range from 180-220 degrees F (82-104 degrees C)at 264 psi
- Tensile strengths are 4000-7000 psi
- Elongation at break is 25-40%
- Flexural modulus is 220000-250000 psi
- Resistant to saturated hydrocarbons, low aromatic gasoline and lubricating oil, vegetable and animal oils, water, aqueous solutions of salts, and dilute acids and alkalis
- Dissolved by concentrated inorganic acids, aromatic and chlorinated hydrocarbons, esters, ethers, ketones, and some alcohols
- Better resistance to environmental stress cracking than ABS plastic
- More applications include gutters and fittings, mail boxes, flower boxes, shutters, outdoor furniture, swimming pool pumps, boat hulls, pickup truck caps, bumper covers, lawn-mower components, covers for outdoor lighting, and more
Search Term: Types of Plastic Used Per Year
“Global Plastic Production Rises, Recycling Lags | Worldwatch Institute.” Accessed July 9, 2018. Global Plastic Production Rises, Recycling Lags
- In 2013, 299 million tons of plastic were produced
- 10-20 million tons of plastic end up in oceans every year
Search Term: How long does ASA stay UV resistant?
rigid.ink. Accessed July 9, 2018. Want to Use ABS in Hot Sun? We Compare ABS vs ASA Filaments
- ASA has a density of 1.07 per g/cm^3
- Best temperature for 3d printing with ASA is 230-250 C or 464-482 F
- The best heated bead temperature when printing is 90-100 C or 230-239 F
- When printing with ASA, the cooling fan should be turned down between 5 and 10% (to avoid cracking from cooling too quickly)
- A slightly warm printing environment is best for ASA
- A 1 kg reel (at this site) costs around 57 dollars
- Weather resistant plastic composites capped with polyethylene terephthalate glycol (PETG) for outdoor exposures. Rabinovitch, Elvira B., and James W. Summers. United States US6855402B2, filed May 7, 2002, and issued February 15, 2005. https://patents.google.com/patent/US6855402B2/en.
- ASA Resin Plastic Molded Concepts (blog), September 11, 2017. https://www.pmcplastics.com/materials/asa-resin/.
- ASA pellets "Asa Pellets Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.ComPlastic Masterbatches.” Accessed July 8, 2018. https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=ASA+pellets&viewtype=.
- ASA. Machine Design, November 15, 2002. http://www.machinedesign.com/basics-design/asa.
- “Global Plastic Production Rises, Recycling Lags | Worldwatch Institute.” Accessed July 9, 2018. http://www.worldwatch.org/global-plastic-production-rises-recycling-lags-0.
- “Want to Use ABS in Hot Sun? We Compare ABS vs ASA Filaments.” rigid.ink. Accessed July 9, 2018. https://rigid.ink/blogs/news/175845063-the-difference-between-abs-and-asa.