Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
777 Adaptive Aid
Arthritis is a debilitating disease that effects a body's joints, causing pain, which in turn limits the forces patients can produce. According to the CDC, by 2040, an estimated 78 million (26%) US adults aged 18 years or older are projected to have doctor-diagnosed arthritis. For those who suffer from arthritis in the hands, even simple tasks such as opening jars can be cumbersome and painful, but most importantly, it can limit independence. Commercial systems are expensive  For example, a simple adaptive aid commercial spoon costs 10X what a normal spoon costs on Amazon. As we know distributed 3-D printing can often radically reduce costs. In this assignment we will leverage basic science and design to help those that are suffering from arthritis gain some independence at a low cost.
- Check mechanical properties of your filament using assigned specs from sheet handed out in class : print 5X horizontal ASTM_D638-14_Type4_FINAL.stl
- Identify an Arthritis aides or Arthritis products that you would like to design to be an open source 3D printable technology
- Make sure someone else has not already done it : Yeggi
- Reserve your product by signature tagging with ~~~~ in the next section 'project reservations'. You should add your own ideas to the list even if you already have one. More than one of you can tackle the same technology in a different way. You may also improve upon existing designs if you do so in a significant way. Do this today
- Design 3D printable components with ONLY OS CAD packages (e.g. OpenSCAD, FreeCAD, or Blender)
- Publish a picture, stl and source code for your design on https://www.myminifactory.com/
- In the description on MyMiniFactory include the approximate cost of your print and then compare it to a commercial offering with their price.
- Add picture, and link to your project page in gallery below.
- Print component and 5 tensile test coupons and bring to class in bag - See due dates on syllabus
- Also consider any of the projects at http://makersmakingchange.com/ , which could be redesigned.
- Nail Clipper Holder - https://www.makersmakingchange.com/project/nail-clipper-holder/ - this one, perhaps due to its deep but thin wall, has a very high print failure rate. Note that it depends on flex, so regular PLA won’t work as it is designed.
- Clicking Measuring Wheel - https://www.makersmakingchange.com/project/clicking-measuring-wheel/ - requires a huge amount of support, and the clicking wheel doesn’t turn freely.
- put your product idea here and then the text ~~~~
- Vehicle Transfer Handle - Patrick Gilland (talk) 07:58, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Handheld zipper aid Btjoseph (talk) 07:56, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Arthritis Drawer handle -ajwunder Andrew W (talk) 07:44, 16 October 2018 (PDT) ajwunder
- Eye Dropper Aid Medley Inc (talk) 07:42, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Easy Grip Peeler Hannah Stoll (talk) 07:42, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Easi-Grip Add-on Handle Q. I. Kaspriak (talk) 07:39, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Knife Guard - Cjthormodson (talk) 07:25, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Sandwich Holder - JBailey (talk) 07:38, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Keyboard Type Assist ABStilwell (talk) 07:30, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Knitting Aid Cmgietek (talk) 07:27, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Unbuckle Me Car Seat Tool Molson (talk) 07:22, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Sock Assist - Emily Weidensee Ejweiden (talk) 07:30, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Seat Belt Grabber - Tjmarvin (talk) 07:30 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Key Turner - admitche (talk) 07:26 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Spring-Assisted Tabletop Scissors - alwoern (talk) 07:36, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Pill Splitter - Aliaksei Petsiuk Aliaksei Petsiuk (talk) 07:39, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Light Switch Extension Lever - Devon Smith (talk) 07:41, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Gas Cap Wrench - CalMcCarty (talk) 07:41, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Easy Grip Nail Clipper - Jrjarvis (talk) 07:28, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Peeling Aid ASTrifaley (talk) 07:49, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Dog Leash Latch Assist Michael James (talk) 07:48, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Can opener Salils.1807 (talk) 07:50, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Key turning device Btrevett (talk) 07:52, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Doug Fabry Second Knife Handle for Pizza Cutter style cutting Dofabry (talk) 07:25, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Fishing Reel Crank Dwsweene (talk) 07:25, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Vegetable Peeler Plate Sswade (talk) 07:25, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Car Easy Handle <ajrettig> Ajrettig (talk) 12:18, 16 October 2018 (PDT) </ajrettig>
- Customizable Adaptive SpoonJhbell (talk) 07:39, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Maddak ErgoWriter Writing InstrumentBproman (talk) 07:41, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Doorknob Extender Reis G.M. Jones (talk) 08:17, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Gas Cap Wrench - BradleyLarson (talk) 10:45, 16 October 2018 (PDT)
- Easy Out Tube Squeezer - Alyssa Knoester (talk) 06:45, 17 October 2018 (PDT)
- Pop Can Opener - LoganBrunette (talk) 10:00, 17 October 2018 (PDT)
- Toothbrush GripWestonButler (talk) 07:29, 18 October 2018 (PDT)
- Universal Hand Clip Holder Wes Gratz (talk) 10:39, 18 October 2018 (PDT)
- Shoe Aid Bharath Sadashivaiah (talk)n10:46, 18 October 2018(PDT)
- Easy Grip Phone case Levi Oxner (talk) 10:58, 18 October 2018(PDT)
- Cane Holder Shaunakmhatre (talk) 08:03, 18 October 2018 (PDT)
- Easy Grip Customizable Cup T.Billman (talk) 12:03, 18 October 2018 (PDT)
- DocScan stand Sasank Potluri (talk) 16:22, 19 October 2018 (PDT)
- Utensil holder thachireth (talk) 18:07, 21 October 2018 (PDT)
- 20% Print quality
- 30% Documentation
- 25% Design (design for printing, plastic minimization)
- 25% Function - Does it work?
Automatic reductions: -50% no source or the use of non-OS software -10% per day for late
Add your image and link the gallery below in a single line after the last one in the list