Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
3-D Printing Solar Photovoltaic Racking in Developing World
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
Pearce Publications: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
- B.T. Wittbrodt & J.M. Pearce. 3-D printing solar photovoltaic racking in developing world. Energy for Sustainable Development 36, pp. 1-5 (2017). DOI:10.1016/j.esd.2016.08.001 open access
- RepRap evaluated as an entry-level 3-D printer in the developing world.
- For 3-D printing cost effective solar photovoltaic (PV) racking components
- Customizable open-source PV racking concept is designed, prototyped and tested.
- Results in 85% and 92% savings from commercially available alternatives
- Potential to aid acceleration of solar deployment in the developing world
X-Wire Racking System
- Source code for STLs and OpenSCAD: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/open-source-racking-for-solar-cell-modules
- Total U.S. cost evaluation of low-weight tension-based photovoltaic flat-roof mounted racking
- Distributed manufacturing with 3-D printing: a case study of recreational vehicle solar photovoltaic mounting systems
- 3-D printable photovoltaic module spacer
- Design of Post-Consumer Modification of Standard Solar Modules to Form Large-Area Building-Integrated Photovoltaic Roof Slates
- Development of a Resilient 3-D Printer for Humanitarian Crisis Response
- Open-source 3-D Printing in Managing Humanitarian Innovation
- Cutting the cost of solar power - Eniday