We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
Why (and how) to use Identica as well as Twitter
Jump to navigation Jump to search
With Identica you have:
- Access to all past posts (unlike Twitter).
- A geekier community that's passionate about open source and open content.
- An open source platform, meaning you have important freedoms.
- Advanced features:
- Sophisticated groups and tagging, meaning your question gets more attention from the section of the community that can help you, or that is interested in what you're saying.
- Conversation threading - view conversations between multiple people, on one page, by clicking "context".
- A filtered personal timeline by tags, e.g. @Appropedia's posts tagged as Linux or International Development.
- A dead easy way to set Identica up, to send your posts automatically to Twitter, so you reach both communities.
- When logged into Identica, click "Connect" in the top right, and select the Twitter tab.
- Then just post on Identica, but check your replies on both sites. (Is there a client that collates replies from both sites? Yes, Gwibber does it in a single consolidated timeline, shows one entry if same dent appears in both services) Tip - you don't have to check Identica as often, except when you ask a geeky question. Identica has a very geeky, intelligent user community.
- Ways of automatically posting from your RSS feed to Identica:
|This page is a "stub" - it needs more content.
You are invited to.