My name is Abigail DeWeese and I am a Junior at Principia College. I'm double majoring in Political Science and Global Studies with a minor in History. Originally, I'm from Dallas, TX where I discovered my love of BBQ and country music like a true southerner. While at school, I enjoy painting, running, and planning the upcoming Public Affairs Conference. I signed up for 3D Printing because traditional forms of science classes are not my expertise and it sounded interesting. My printer has yet to fully work, but I'm excited to eventually print something successfully.
Truthfully,I don't know much regarding the Open Source Movement, but I believe that it's a movement that advocates open access to code so that everyone has the opportunity to utilize and or improve upon it. Personally, I find their dedication to widespread knowledge attractive and admirable. This was incredibly helpful while building my Jellybox printer because there were a few times I did not have the necessary part (I have an older model) and I was able to download and print the part because someone had made it available. In the future, I believe it'd be very helpful if other spheres of knowledge followed the philosophy of the open source movement. There is a lot that could be solved or education to be shared if more people simply had access to the information.
I checked in Cura if the print needed to be re-oriented, but it fit the bed without any changes. I brought the print speed down just slightly to 90 to ensure that the filament wouldn't be printed too quickly and disrupt the overall product. The print temp was set at 210. I didn't want to fiddle around with the temperature and risk something because the printer's had enough problems and I didn't want to make a gamble. It seemed to print fine without any form of adhesion. In my brief experience, it seems that it's best to add adhesion when the print is going to be larger along the Z axis (it'll be tall) in comparison to the other axis. This particular model didn't have a lot of detail, so it didn't seem necessary to make the layers small and very fine. There was one small hiccup. For the first few layers it printed normally and then it shifted one layer, but then it started printing normally again. I'm still working on what exactly could be the cause of that. I didn't think I needed to print multiple shells or need infill. The fan speed I kept the same as I normally do. Overall, it's a significant improvement from the first few attempts at printing.
I used blender to design and create this object. I sliced it in Cura and reduced it to 4000 from it's origical size and added a skirt so it wouldn't come up off the plate.
I used FreeCAD to design this object. I didn't have to change the size before I sliced it, but I did add a brim and supports. There's some tape that wouldn't come off from when I had to tape it down, but it looks good other than that.
Penny trap project
We used OpenSCAD in class to design this. The only thing I added in Cura was a brim to keep it on the bed. That little blip in the middle is from when I paused it to put the penny in.
I downloaded the file from Thingiverse and adjusted some dimensions. In terms of slicing, I'll probably have to resize it some and add adhesion. The license for the file from Thingiverse is the Creative Commons Attribution.
I made this plankton sample collector for Dr. Farson. She'll be using it in her Oceanography class next semester. A commercially made model like this would normally cost $135+. One would have to provide their own weights, flotation devices, and net. NIH 3D link: https://3dprint.nih.gov/discover/3dpx-012370
This textured cube is meant to help people who have nerve damage. The goal was to include a variety of surfaces and designs for people to test their feeling of sense. The print worked out pretty well, but I did have to make my own supports for the spiral side. I was not able to find anything online to compare prices to, but if there is, this would still be a cheaper alternative.
Big Money project
This is a keychain with a saying from my school, but it's still a phrase that's applicable to every day life. My school colors are blue and gold, but of course the colors can be changed (either with filament color or painted). I'd recommend a thicker text similar to the one I used in my print because I found that if the lines are too thin, the text will not print. There a few tiny holes in the letters, but that happened with every font I tried. There is a hole in the design for the chain to go through, but holes shrink during the printing process so I had to make it wider post-print.This was printed for about $0.20 and could sell for probably $5 with added color and to make a profit. Here's a link to my thingiverse post: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4026298
When I first printed this, the top and bottom faces didn't print correctly. To fix this, I increased the top and bottom wall thicknesses to 1. I also had to create supports on the face with the spiral on it due to overhang.
The cost of this print is roughly $1.12. The one I printed is 56g, for reference. I was not able to find a commercial equivalent, but if there is one similar to this, my cube will still likely be the more affordable option.