We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
TTH: Table of Contents
|Transition Handbook removed temporarily
We apologize that The Transition Handbook has been removed from Appropedia for now while Appropedia and the publishers and author of The Transition Handbook work out some licensing questions. We hope to settle these questions later in 2009 so that you can again contribute to the 2nd edition of the book.
If, as we expect, the license will be different from Appropedia's default license, we will attempt to contact those of you who have already made contributions, for permission to use them under the new license for this project.
Thank you for your understanding.
Introduction TANTALISING GLIMPSES OF RESILIENCE
Part 1: The Head - Why Peak Oil and Climate Change Mean Small is Inevitable
Chapter 1: Peak Oil and Climate Change - The Two Great Oversights of Our Times
- What is Peak Oil?
- Some Key Indications That We Are Nearing The Peak.
- Peak When? Climate Change.
- The Greenhouse Effect.
- Is There Such a Thing as a Safe Limit?
- The Intertwining of Peak Oil and Climate Change.
- Can Peak Oil Engage People More Effectively Than Climate Change?
- The Contradictions of the Hirsch Report.
Chapter 2: The View From the Mountain-top
- Evaluating possible ways forward.
- Why a Future With Less Energy Ends Up Looking Somewhat Inevitable.
- Why 'Energy Descent'?
Chapter 3: Why Rebuilding Resilience is as Important as Cutting Carbon Emissions
- What is Resilience?
- The Three Ingredients of a Resilient System.
- Life Before Oil Wasn't All Bad.
- The Cake Analogy.
- Echoes of a Resilient Past.
- Can we Learn Anything Useful from Britain's Last 'Wartime Mobilisation'?
Chapter 4: Why Small is Inevitable
- The Dangers of Clinging to the Illusion of Large Scale.
- Top-down or Bottom-up?
- Where Does the Government Fit In?
Chapter 4b: The Credit Crunch
- A New Chapter on the Credit Crunch - Dive in!
Summing up Part 1: The Oil Age Draws to a Close
Part 2: The Heart - Why Having a Positive Vision is Crucial
Chapter 5: How Peak Oil and Climate Change Affect us - 'Post-Petroleum Stress Disorder'
- Clammy Palms or Nausea and Mild Palpitations
- A Sense of Bewilderment and Unreality
- An Irrational Grasping at Unfeasible Solutions
- Outbreaks of nihilism and/or survivalism
- Exuberant optimism
- The 'I always told you so' syndrome
Chapter 6: Understanding the Psychology of Change
- An interview with Dr Chris Johnstone
- The FRAMES model
Chapter 7: Harnessing the power of a positive vision
- Why visions work.
- Captain Future - the wizard of science.
- Visions of abundance.
Chapter 8: A vision for 2030 - looking back over the transition
- Food and farming
- Medicine and health
Chapter 9: Kinsale - a first attempt at community visioning
- The Kinsale Energy Descent Action and how it came about.
- Four lessons from the Kinsale Project.
- Reflections on the Kinsale process.
- What's happening now in Kinsale?
Summing up Part 2
Part 3: The Hands - Moving from ideas to action: exploring the Transition model for inspiring local resilience-building
Chapter 10: The Transition concept
- The philosophical underpinnings.
- Six principles that underpin the Transition model.
- The Project Support Project concept.
- Issues of scale.
- The interface between Transition Initiatives and local politics.
Chapter 11 (A): How to start a Transition Initiative
- The seven 'Buts'.
- The Twelve Steps of Transition.
Chapter 11 (B): How to start a Transition Town Note: history section needs to be moved to other TTH articles, other info from Wikiversity -Environmental community building needs to be added and spread over articles, [Instructables -Environmental living info too needs to be taken up and spread over articles. UK initiatives need to be grouped and other initiatives (eg Auroville, ...) mentioned.
- Elements of building a town
Chapter 12: The First Year of Transition Town Totnes
- First, a bit of background
- Then, a bit of prehistory
Chapter 13: The Viral Speed of the Transition Concept in the UK
- Transition Penwith.
- Transition Falmouth.
- Transition Town Lewes.
- Transition Ottery St Mary.
- Transition Bristol.
- Transition Town Brixton.
- Transition Forest of Dean
- Transition BH: A Hub for Local Initiatives Within a Large Suburban Sprawl
Chapter 14: Transition Abroad
- Auroville and other Appropriate technology villages
Some closing thoughts
Appendix 1: The Oil Depletion
Appendix 2: John Croft's 'Four stages that any project will go through'
Appendix 3: Assignment Sheet - Energy Descent Action Plan
Appendix 4: The Energy Descent Action Plan Process
Appendix 5: How to Become a Transition
Appendix 6: A Sample Press Release
Appendix 7: Transition Training