Introduction TANTALISING GLIMPSES OF RESILIENCE
Part 1: The Head - Why Peak Oil and Climate Change Mean Small is Inevitable
Chapter 1: Peak Oil and Climate Change - The Two Great Oversights of Our Times
- What is Peak Oil?
- Some Key Indications That We Are Nearing The Peak.
- Peak When? Climate Change.
- The Greenhouse Effect.
- Is There Such a Thing as a Safe Limit?
- The Intertwining of Peak Oil and Climate Change.
- Can Peak Oil Engage People More Effectively Than Climate Change?
- The Contradictions of the Hirsch Report.
Chapter 2: The View From the Mountain-top
- Evaluating possible ways forward.
- Why a Future With Less Energy Ends Up Looking Somewhat Inevitable.
- Why 'Energy Descent'?
Chapter 3: Why Rebuilding Resilience is as Important as Cutting Carbon Emissions
- What is Resilience?
- The Three Ingredients of a Resilient System.
- Life Before Oil Wasn't All Bad.
- The Cake Analogy.
- Echoes of a Resilient Past.
- Can we Learn Anything Useful from Britain's Last 'Wartime Mobilisation'?
Chapter 4: Why Small is Inevitable
- The Dangers of Clinging to the Illusion of Large Scale.
- Top-down or Bottom-up?
- Where Does the Government Fit In?
Chapter 4b: The Credit Crunch
- A New Chapter on the Credit Crunch - Dive in!
Summing up Part 1: The Oil Age Draws to a Close
Part 2: The Heart - Why Having a Positive Vision is Crucial
Chapter 5: How Peak Oil and Climate Change Affect us - 'Post-Petroleum Stress Disorder'
- Clammy Palms or Nausea and Mild Palpitations
- A Sense of Bewilderment and Unreality
- An Irrational Grasping at Unfeasible Solutions
- Outbreaks of nihilism and/or survivalism
- Exuberant optimism
- The 'I always told you so' syndrome
Chapter 6: Understanding the Psychology of Change
- An interview with Dr Chris Johnstone
- The FRAMES model
Chapter 7: Harnessing the power of a positive vision
- Why visions work.
- Captain Future - the wizard of science.
- Visions of abundance.
Chapter 8: A vision for 2030 - looking back over the transition
- Food and farming
- Medicine and health
Chapter 9: Kinsale - a first attempt at community visioning
- The Kinsale Energy Descent Action and how it came about.
- Four lessons from the Kinsale Project.
- Reflections on the Kinsale process.
- What's happening now in Kinsale?
Summing up Part 2
Part 3: The Hands - Moving from ideas to action: exploring the Transition model for inspiring local resilience-building
Chapter 10: The Transition concept
- The philosophical underpinnings.
- Six principles that underpin the Transition model.
- The Project Support Project concept.
- Issues of scale.
- The interface between Transition Initiatives and local politics.
Chapter 11 (A): How to start a Transition Initiative
- The seven 'Buts'.
- The Twelve Steps of Transition.
Chapter 11 (B): How to start a Transition Town Note: history section needs to be moved to other TTH articles, other info from Wikiversity -Environmental community building needs to be added and spread over articles, [Instructables -Environmental living info too needs to be taken up and spread over articles. UK initiatives need to be grouped and other initiatives (eg Auroville, ...) mentioned.
- Elements of building a town
Chapter 12: The First Year of Transition Town Totnes
- First, a bit of background
- Then, a bit of prehistory
Chapter 13: The Viral Speed of the Transition Concept in the UK
- Transition Penwith.
- Transition Falmouth.
- Transition Town Lewes.
- Transition Ottery St Mary.
- Transition Bristol.
- Transition Town Brixton.
- Transition Forest of Dean
- Transition BH: A Hub for Local Initiatives Within a Large Suburban Sprawl
Chapter 14: Transition Abroad
- Auroville and other Appropriate technology villages
Some closing thoughts
Appendix 1: The Oil Depletion
Appendix 2: John Croft's 'Four stages that any project will go through'
Appendix 3: Assignment Sheet - Energy Descent Action Plan
Appendix 4: The Energy Descent Action Plan Process
Appendix 5: How to Become a Transition
Appendix 6: A Sample Press Release
Appendix 7: Transition Training