TIDES technology documentation template
This is the template page for describing a technology for STAR-TIDES. It is similar to, but not identical with, the page templates used at AKVO.
The TIDES technology documentation template (details) gives a full how-to on how to make page in Appropedia using this template. It also gives a detailed rationale for some of these fields. If you have read that page, you can just hit edit on this page, and then cut-and-paste this template into your new pages. The tags at the top and bottom of the page are wiki tags which help with layout and place the page you make into the STAR-TIDES category.
Description[edit | edit source]
Roughly two paragraphs summarizing and qualifying what the item is. You should touch on the four following points.
- which infrastructures / needs (shelter, water, power, integrated cooking, sanitation, ICT) or six ways to die (too hot, too cold, thirst, hunger, illness, injury.)
- what does the system look like? (pictures, description)
- roughly how does it work? what's the operating principle? what class of things (solar cookers, dome shelters) is it a member of?
- what is it's status (trials, field tests?) and availability (commercial, free/open source, other)
Advantages / Disadvantages[edit | edit source]
- a few bullet points in each category. Focus on system differentiators ("better than most X").
Operations[edit | edit source]
Three areas to note.
- preconditions to operation (i.e. "fresh water source" or "80W of power")
- environmental limits ("will not function below freezing")
- links to how-to videos, operating manuals, and other data. This is similar to the "For more information" links at the bottom of the page, but would tend to link to content describing the item being used, vs. technical presentations on how it works.
Metrics[edit | edit source]
Please define the system as far as possible in numbers. For example.
- cooks rice in 3 hours (for a solar cooker.)
- filters 99.99% of all water borne pathogens (for a water filter.)
Particularly focus on capacity numbers.
- sleeps 5.
- filters 20 gallons per hour.
Minimum data is
- size - for the logisticians.
- quantity of service provided (number who can sleep, volume of water purified.)
Past these basics, use whatever data is on hand.
For more information[edit | edit source]
- any closely comparable systems (such as a bigger/smaller one of these items, or a link to a general category of systems (i.e. "solar cookers")
- links (including links to vendors)
- points of contact