Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 44: Line 44:  
{|style="margin: 0 auto;"
 
{|style="margin: 0 auto;"
 
| [[File:Prototype CAD model.JPG|thumb|700 px|CAD model of the prototype]]
 
| [[File:Prototype CAD model.JPG|thumb|700 px|CAD model of the prototype]]
| [[File:Testing prototype.JPG|thumb|800 px|Testing the prototype on a hot sunny day]]
+
| [[File:Testing prototype.JPG|thumb|900 px|Testing the prototype on a hot sunny day]]
 
|}
 
|}
       
----
 
----
 +
 
====Final Design====
 
====Final Design====
 
Although the prototype didn't work my teacher let move to the full scale design anyway. Since I didn't have access to the funds to build the metal support structure I wanted, I had to re-design the solar concentrator with the materials I had. I planned to use wood to hold up the glass and metal tubes and an old pair of chair legs to hold up the concentrator. The first step in building it was cutting the water apart which turn turned out to more difficult than expect since it was very rusty and we had use a battery power hand tool to cut it. In order for the reflective mylar tape to stick I needed to remove the rust. So I contacted a local manufacturer who had a sand blaster and had them sand blast the rusty side. While assembling the concentrator I wasn't able to secure the legs tightly enough and couldn't set it at angles to face the sun like I had hoped. Also, I couldn't straighten out the copper tube enough to fit it inside the glass one, so painted it black to absorb more light. After a sunny enough day came along we brought it outside and filled it will water, it got hot enough that you could feel it but didn't heat the water enough to move it.
 
Although the prototype didn't work my teacher let move to the full scale design anyway. Since I didn't have access to the funds to build the metal support structure I wanted, I had to re-design the solar concentrator with the materials I had. I planned to use wood to hold up the glass and metal tubes and an old pair of chair legs to hold up the concentrator. The first step in building it was cutting the water apart which turn turned out to more difficult than expect since it was very rusty and we had use a battery power hand tool to cut it. In order for the reflective mylar tape to stick I needed to remove the rust. So I contacted a local manufacturer who had a sand blaster and had them sand blast the rusty side. While assembling the concentrator I wasn't able to secure the legs tightly enough and couldn't set it at angles to face the sun like I had hoped. Also, I couldn't straighten out the copper tube enough to fit it inside the glass one, so painted it black to absorb more light. After a sunny enough day came along we brought it outside and filled it will water, it got hot enough that you could feel it but didn't heat the water enough to move it.

Navigation menu