We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
Portal:Construction and materials/Selected page/1
Bathroom Toilet Unit. Why? This is about the construction of Bathroom Toilet units affordably. It aims at improving sanitation in rural settings. This method is meant to be used in a communal project where inhabitants of a village can be motivated to build a private bathroom for every family around. To achieve this each family works on its own bathroom facility concurrently while sharing experience and guidance. A special construction method is used to permit this.
How? Properties of the Bathroom Toilet-unit:
- A comfortable space for bathing, also to be used for sanitation, nice looking, decorated, easy to clean.
- Sufficient space for a parent to bath a small child and to teach it the proper use of a toilet.
- Waste water from bathing rinses urine away, minimizing stink and use of flush water.
- The bathroom/toilet unit can be configured as a composting toilet or to dry-fill a dug out, the choise is left to the future users and will be based on the way how users look at sanitation.
- The cost of the bathroom/toilet unit is only the cost of one bag of cement.
- MOST IMPORTANT, the method of construction is adjusted to a communal project.
- MOST IMPORTANT, with the one wooden model of the slab all the cast forms for all the families around can be made within a few weeks.
- When ALL the families in a neighbourhood use their own toilet this results in far less illness, especially for children.
- How to instruct the populace on how and why the new bathroom facilities should be used?