Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Orphanage tourism is the visiting of orphanages, usually with the intention of helping the children and making them happy. However, this has several problems, including the following:
- A child's right to privacy
- Reports show[verification needed] that short-term visits can harm a child's development and emotional wellbeing. Children need stability.
- Child protection policies. In cases where orphanages fail to check the backgrounds of visitors, children are open to mistreatment and abuse.
- Such programs and activities distract from other programs of greater benefit for the child - in particular, supporting family based care.
A better way to support vulnerable children and their families is through vocational training and other community-based initiative.
- When Children Become Tourist Attractions - campaign by Friends-International, with the backing of UNICEF.
|This page is a "stub" - it needs more content.
You are invited to.