We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
NEXT PRODUCTION REVOLUTION COMPETENCE CENTER (NPRCC)
According to the OECD NPR, “The next production revolution will occur because of a confluence of technologies. These range from a variety of digital technologies (e.g. 3D printing, the Internet of Things, advanced robotics) and new materials (e.g. bio‑ or nano‑based) to new processes (e.g. data‑driven production, artificial intelligence, synthetic biology). As these technologies transform production, they will have far‑reaching consequences for productivity, employment, skills, income distribution, trade, well‑being, and the environment.” Under the umbrella of the Emerging African Innovation Leaders (EAIL) Program EAIL, a Next Production Revolution Competence Centre (NPRCC).was established. The NPRCC will be the first of its kind, not only in Nigeria but across Africa. It will be a collaborative entity established and led by multi-stakeholders from academia, industry, and government. It will be resourced by highly qualified and multi-disciplinary researchers and professionals empowered to undertake strategic research or demonstrate technologies in NPR. In addition, the NPRCC will also be used to host and launch various NPR projects within its main pillars.
NPRCC Mission: To promote innovation, partnerships, and knowledge sharing across public & private sectors on policy, technologies & other measures that are necessary to enable leapfrogging of Nigeria to the Next Production Revolution.
- To provide multi-stakeholders a one-stop-shop for the promotion, education, diffusion & demonstration of NPR across relevant sectors in Nigeria
- To ensure that economic & other strategic plans of the Government of Nigeria align & take into account NPR
- To develop benchmark & indicators to guide the leapfrogging of Nigeria to the NPR and constantly monitor these with the view of providing feedback to the Government of Nigeria and other stakeholders
- To demonstrate NPR through real cases towards its deployment for sustainable development in West Africa
- Be a regional hub with platforms for providing innovative NPR based support to new and existing businesses
The different flagship initiatives of the NPRCC are:
- Capacity Building Programme on Implementation of Energy Management Systems across Nigeria
- Deliver pilot project of mini-grid and blockchain technology
- Introduction of digital technologies for improving Birth Registration.
The business and investment climate in Nigeria is perceived to be difficult by many prospective investors. One of the major constraints is the absence of reliable data to guide investment decisions and planning. The NPRCC helps to tackle the challenges in the following ways:
You may describe your costs here.
|Opportunities for investors||Support from NPRCC|
|Across the entire value chain in NPR - Energy, Mobility, and Digitalisation||Continuous market monitoring and analysis of information|
|Resource efficiency||Providing data and specific market information|
|Technology development||Placement of NPR partners|
|Education and skills development||Accompaniment and support for business meetings|
|Compliance and implementation of standards and norms||Organisation of thematic workshops and seminars|
|Supply of material and machinery||Creating individual market studies|
While the project is still largely been developed, the following steps have been undertaken:
- 2 Advisory Board members from Nigeria have been selected as follows:
- Other stakeholders have been engaged including the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) MAN, National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI)NASENI.
- The first Country Day was held on the 19th June 2019 at Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria to create further visibility on NPR, EAIL Program and the NPRCC Country Project, as well as gain support of relevant stakeholders.
- The Nigerian EAIL team facilitated a meeting between the World Manufacturing Forum (WMF) WMF and the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN). (In line with the objectives of the NPRCC)
- With the influence of the team, the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI) attended and participated in the WMF Annual Forum 2019; as the first delegation from Nigeria since the inception of the WMF. (In line with the objectives of the NPRCC)
The Nigerian EAIL team
The Nigerian EAIL team.