|Published by||Chris Watkins|
|License||CC BY-SA 4.0|
|Automatic translations||Français, Español, 中文, العربية, Русский, Kiswahili and others|
|Cite as "Life changing experiences for students". Appropedia. 2021. Retrieved 2021-07-31.|
Activities for building confidence and expanding horizons.
All of these are inspiring activities. Some in particular are life-changing, but it's hard to predict what will have the greatest impact.
School students[edit | edit source]
- Sprout seeds and watch them grow - both in bottles with water, and in soil.
- Grow food and eat it.
- Learn to cook tasty, healthy food.
- Make a solar cooker, prepare food and eat it. Don't forget the "WARNING: HOT SURFACE" signs (and other precautions, depending on age). Try different kinds, from a simple black-painted tin, with or without reflectors (foil and cardboard) (this can work in a hot sunny place, to more complex box types.
- Understand a completely different perspective or opinion, that would previously have been dismissed as ridiculous (through debating; meeting people from other cultures and backgrounds...)
- Community service, whether simple things like visiting people in care homes or building something for the community. Experiencing the satisfaction that comes from doing something for another person.
- Make compost
- Keep a worm bin