|Medical skill data|
|Subskill of||Medical Patient Assessment for Chest Pain (OPQRST)|
|License||CC BY-SA 4.0|
|Automatic translations||Français, Español, 中文, العربية, Русский, Kiswahili and others|
|Cite as GSTC (2021). "AED Application for pediatric and infant". Appropedia. Retrieved 2021-07-25.|
An AED can be used on children and infants and should be used as early as possible for the best chance of improving survival. Check the AED when it arrives at the scene. Pediatric pads should be used if the person is less than eight years old. Standard (adult) pads may be used if pediatric pads are not available. If using standard (adult) pads, do not let the pads touch. For infants less than a year old, a manual defibrillator should be used if available. If a manual defibrillator is not available, an AED may be used. Some AEDs have a switch that can be set to deliver a pediatric shock. If available, turn the switch on when using on children younger than eight years old. If the AED cannot deliver a pediatric shock, an adult shock should be given. It is important to remember an electric shock may be the cure for a fatal heart rhythm.
AED STEPS FOR CHILDREN AND INFANTS
Retrieve the AED .
1. Open the case.
2. Turn on the AED. Expose the person's chest If wet, dry the chest.and remove any medication patches.
3. Open the Pediatric AED pads and peel off the backing.
4. Apply one pad on the upper right chest above the breast. For infants, apply on upper left chest
5. Apply the second pad on lower left chest below the armpit. For infants, apply second pad to back
6. Ensure wires are attached to the AED box
7. Stop CPR and instruct others not to touch the child.
8. Let AED analyzes the rhythm.
9. If AED message reads "Shock," then either wait for the AED to deliver the shock (fully automatic versions) or press and hold flashing shock button until shock is delivered.
10. Resume CPR for two minutes
11. Repeat steps 7-10.
Troubleshooting: If AED message reads "Check Electrodes," then ensure electrodes make good contact and are firmly plugged into the AED box.