|Keywords||, , ,|
|Designed in||United States|
|Cost||USD $ 2.50|
|Hardware||CC BY-SA 4.0|
I created a pill holder to hold daily pills for up to 14 days that a professor at Penn State University requested. This is my final project. I initially had a different idea for the lid that would be more efficient and prevent pills from flying everywhere if the dispenser was to be knocked over, but my idea didn't work out, unfortunately. The plan was to have separate slide-in lids, but they wouldn't hold properly. Therefore I went with a standard lid. This is an appropriate print because it saves the user about 60% of the cost.
Bill of Materials[edit | edit source]
I used a total of 65 grams of PLA filament for the production. I paid $20 for 500G of filament, so that comes out to about $2.50 per box and lid.
Tools needed[edit | edit source]
- Jellybox or similar RepRap 3-D printer
Skills and knowledge needed[edit | edit source]
It is not super complicated to design, but it does require basic designing understanding in FreeCAD.
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions[edit | edit source]
- Provide directions for print/assembly - be detailed enough in your “how to” to ensure that someone could construct the device from your description. Consider the elegance of IKEA like instructions.
- Print time for box: about 3 hours
- Print tme for lid: about 1.5 hours
- Assembly time: none
Common Problems and Solutions[edit | edit source]
- The main problem that I ran into is making the lid fit onto the box, so that took a few attempts, since the filament shrinks when it cools down, so you can't rely 100% on the numbers.
Cost savings[edit | edit source]
These pill holders are usually pretty cheap, the closest one to this that I found at $6 apiece , but you don't really find pill holders for more than a week, so that's where this design has a leg up to commercially sold pill holders.
My pill holder has a production cost of roughly $2.5 (65 grams total at roughly 4ct/gram), so you save roughly 60% of the cost.
The file can be downloaded here