Wireless internet protocol: MOST
| This page was developed by the Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab. |
and is part of our collection of Open Source Appropriate Technology on Appropedia.
Submit an OSAT design for the MOST 3-D Printers for Peace Contest and win a free 3-D printer.
This protocol is for setting up wireless internet in the MOST lab using the Rosewill RNX-N180UBE wireless network adapter.
These instructions have only been tested on computers running Ubuntu 10.04 but may work with other versions of Ubuntu or Linux.
- Plug network adapter into USB port on computer
- On a computer with internet access go to http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/kernel/dists/trunk/firmware-nonfree/realtek/RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
- Download the "Revision 15682" file (the file will be called "rtl8192sfw.bin")
- Save file "rtl8192sfw.bin" to a flash drive
- Transfer file to the Desktop of the computer that you are installing the network adapter on
- In a Terminal type and execute:
sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU
sudo cp rtl8192sfw.bin /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU
- Unplug adapter and then plug back in
- After a minute or so it should now work and detect a wireless network!
Check your connection by clicking on the network icon on the upper right of the screen (To the right of the volume control).