is the site for collaborative solutions in sustainability
reduction and international development
through the use of sound principles
and appropriate technology
and the sharing of wisdom and project
information. It is a wiki
, a type of website which allows anyone to add, remove, or edit content. Registration is encouraged but not required for contributors.
Appropedia has been described as an "appropriate technology wiki," but it is much broader than that - it is a green wiki, and a wiki for all matters of international development and aid. But most importantly, Appropedia is an open site for stakeholders to come together to find, create and improve scalable and adaptable solutions. For more about our motivation, see Appropedia:Mission.
To create a new project page, first browse the project articles and subcategories below for examples and check for possible collaboration opportunities, such as articles similar to what you're considering writing. If you are looking for ideas for your own project, check out our suggested projects. It is highly encouraged to tag your projects with their status -- you can do this with a few templates. Be Bold!
. This is a technique to join wood using scrap tin, such as that from a used can. Needed materials include:
- 1. Two sticks of wood to be joined.
- Make sure the wood is in good condition where the connection is to be made. It should be clean, no bits of bark or loose paint, and no knots, as they are too hard for nails.
2. Two pieces of thin tin.
- For the first bond, use a knife for cutting the tin from a small can for example.
- Length and width equal to the stick diameter.
3. One piece of sheet metal.
- For the final bond, use the tip of an axe or chisel for cutting the sheet metal from an oil drum for example.
- Width 3x the stick diameter; Length 6x the stick diameter.
4. Some small, ~1 cm, nails for the first connection.
5. Some larger, ~2.5 cm, nails for the final connection.
The Hexayurt is a refugee shelter system that uses an approach based on "autonomous building" to provide not just a shelter, but a comprehensive family support unit which includes drinking water purification, composting toilets, fuel-efficient stoves and solar electric lighting.
||This OSAT has been designed but not yet tested - use at own risk.
||This OSAT has been deployed by: Whom at least: How many times in: Where.
You can help Appropedia by contributing to the next step in this OSAT's status.
| AEF greywater
: Recreating a failing greywater marsh at the Arcata Educational Farm.
| Briceland PV
: 960W photovoltaic installation in Briceland, CA.
| Solar Charged Lawnmower
: Converting a very used gas power lawnmower into a solar charged, low emission, almost silent, lawn cutting machine.