|See also the Information technology category.|
for subtopics, how-tos, project pages, designs, organization pages and more.
ICT in development
The term ICT4D (Information and Communication Technologies for Development) refers to the use of ICTs to support socio-economic development. Examples of this follow.
Lean code, development and sustainability
Computing can be made more sustainable in several ways. Better practices (like hibernation, screens switching off instead of going to screensavers, and just switching off or hibernating when the computer is not in use) can save power. More efficient coding means computers use less power and need less powerful hardware - see The world needs lean code! (December 5th, 2008) on the Appropedia Foundation Blog.
ICT in commerce
Farmers in UgandaW have used SMS (short message serviceW text messaging on mobile phones) to find out about the latest crop prices. This service provides them with valuable information to negotiate with middlemen.
ICT in public health
In South AfricaW, the "Compliance Service" uses short message service (SMS) to remind tuberculosis (TB) patients to take their medication. This kind of intervention, which is claimed to have "substantially decreased the number of treatment failures", has important implications in public health.
ICT in Africa
- The African Information Society Initiative: Africa's Vision to Digital Opportunities is the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa 's (ECA) work programme to use information and communication technology to accelerate economic and social development in ECA's 53 member states in Africa.
- Building ICT4D Capacity in and by African Universities
- Imfundo Project - Sub-Saharan Africa: This Department for International Development (DFID) initiative aims to transform the education sector in Africa through the use of ICTs. It is dedicated to finding new ways to improve the training of teachers, identify the most effective way to improve the management and support of teachers in developing countries, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa, using new technologies where appropriate.
- PICTA Bulletin: This monthly (online) publication provides information on activities of members in the Partnership for ICTs in Africa (PICTA), and news on ICT-related activities in Africa.
ICT in Asia
- Exploring New Modalities: Experiences with ICT Interventions in the Asia-Pacific Region : Excellent publication (free PDF available) highlighting 56 ICT projects sponsored by the UN's Asia-Pacific Development Information Programme between 2002 and 2005.
- The Un-wired Continent: Africa's Mobile Success Story, summary of a 7-page paper by Vanessa Gray, 2006 - The Communication Initiative Network
- Wikipedia:Information and communication technology
- EWB's ICT4D Support Network Wiki, a project of Engineers Without Borders Australia
- Tectonic - technology with a focus on open source software, and Africa.
- NGO-in-a-Box: Powerful tools for the daily work of NGO's.