In Situ Formation of Substrate Release Mechanisms for Gas Metal Arc Weld Metal 3-D Printing
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
Pearce Publications By Topic: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
|This page is part of an international project to use RepRap 3-D printing to make OSAT for sustainable development. Learn more.
Research: Open source 3-D printing of OSAT • RecycleBot • LCA of home recycling • Green Distributed Recycling • Ethical Filament • LCA of distributed manufacturing • RepRap LCA Energy and CO2 • Solar-powered RepRaps • solar powered recyclebot • Feasibility hub • Mechanical testing • RepRap printing protocol: MOST• Lessons learned • MOST RepRap Build • MOST Prusa Build • MOST HS RepRap build • RepRap Print Server
Amberlee S. Haselhuhn, Bas Wijnen, Gerald C. Anzalone, Paul G. Sanders, Joshua M. Pearce, In Situ Formation of Substrate Release Mechanisms for Gas Metal Arc Weld Metal 3-D Printing. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 226, pp. 50–59 (2015) DOI: 10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2015.06.038 open access
- In-depth investigation into low-cost and no-cost substrate release mechanisms.
- Allows gas metal arc weld 3D printed ER4043 aluminum, ER70S-6 steel removal.
- Reusable print substrate with minimal energy and no tools.
- Studied aluminum oxide, boron nitride, and titanium nitride coatings.
- In situ formation of substrate release agents such as intermetallics and oxides.
3-D printing; additive manufacturing; aluminum; steel; in situ formation; distributed manufacturing; gas metal arc weld; GMAW; metal processing; metal inert gas welding; MIG welding; open-source; open-source electronics; open-source hardware; personal fabrication; rapid prototyping
- Open-source metal 3-D printer
- MOST open-source metal 3-D printer v2
- Slicer and process improvements for open-source GMAW-based metal 3-D printing
- Substrate Release Mechanisms for Gas Metal Arc Weld 3D Aluminum Metal Printing - how to get your print off the substrate with a hammer
- Aluminum substrate cleaning for 3-D printing:MOST
- Low-cost Open-Source Voltage and Current Monitor for Gas Metal Arc Weld 3-D Printing
- Integrated Voltage—Current Monitoring and Control of Gas Metal Arc Weld Magnetic Ball-Jointed Open Source 3-D Printer
- 3D Metal Printing Slicer Plugin
- Open-source Lab
- Open source 3-D printing of OSAT
- Life-cycle economic analysis of distributed manufacturing with open-source 3-D printers
- Environmental impacts of distributed manufacturing from 3-D printing of polymer components and products
- Building research equipment with free, open-source hardware
- Delft University of Technology - MIG+ Prusa I3
- Weld 3D - 1st commercial spin off
- see literature on "wire arc additive manufacturing" (WAAM)
In the NewsEdit
- Michigan Tech Opens Up Reusable Substrates for Metal 3D Printing - 3D Printing Industry
- Researchers Solve Major Issue Surrounding Metal 3D Printing With Reusable Substrates - 3D Print
- New research into gas metal arc weld 3D printing unveils easier part removal techniques - 3Ders
- Researchers solve key problem surrounding metal 3D printing - Australian Manufacturing