Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Community Currencies Workshop 2.0
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 00:23, 10 February 2014 by Brunov25 (→Story 3: Medieval Bracteates 1000 AD: the mystery of addiction)
- 1 Outline for Community Currencies Workshops version 2.0
- 1.1 Story 0: In the beginning: pure gift economy
- 1.2 Story 1: Irish Banks Strike 1970: undesigned community currency
- 1.3 Story 2: Egyptian Ostraca 2000 BC: designed dual currency
- 1.4 Story 3: Medieval Bracteates 1000 AD: the mystery of addiction
- 1.5 Story 4: Designed People Money:
- 1.6 Story 5: [Optional] Future Money:
- 1.7 Conclusion: back to pure gift economy
Outline for Community Currencies Workshops version 2.0
Story 0: In the beginning: pure gift economy
- Bernard Lietaer's Yin-Yang spectrum of currencies with visual aids
- Exercise: organize bag of visual aids along the spectrum from pure gift currency all the way to pure yang currency
- Exercise: find local examples of gift economies transformed into yang currency and its side-effects
- Exercise: design the return of a non-gift currency back to pure gift; pre-requisites: trust, healthy community
Story 1: Irish Banks Strike 1970: undesigned community currency
- are banks really too big to fail? In what way does life change if they disappear?
- what are banks useful for: settling payments (clearing), providing information (risk assessment), setting incentives (interest rates), pooling resources, transferring resources (import/export from community), i.e. creating and maintaining currency,.
- how can local people do all that without a bank?
- exercise: create cheques ; what makes a cheque acceptable common and/or legal tender?
- exercise: create minuto vouchers;
Story 2: Egyptian Ostraca 2000 BC: designed dual currency
- exercises: How to end, accelerate destruction or rekindle and speed up people's wealth and healthy communities?
- impose taxes only in scarce legal tender (gold, roman coins, 2014 dollars) + facilitate compound interest
- allow tax payments in abundant common tender (ostraca, bracteates, local currencies) + facilitate demurrage
- charge rent on land (+roads, patents, copyrights, EM spectrum, natural resources) instead of income, business and sales tax; redistribute to people (Alaska, Norway)
Story 3: Medieval Bracteates 1000 AD: the mystery of addiction
- exercise: how to be consciously or unconsciously illegible under harsh yang conditions
- exercise: how to help yang currency rule-makers reach their goals by being yin currency allies
- exercixe: how to use addictive drug currency to heal our communities
Story 4: Designed People Money:
- review local history: co-ops, consumer unions, credit unions, food banks, micro-credit, opensource, crowfunding, sharing, etc
- review local mutual credit history: TimeBanks, LETS, CES, Regioweld, Barter Rings, Openmoney, etc
- design or improve a local currency: matchmaker + catalog + transparency + dunbar#
Story 5: [Optional] Future Money:
- exercise: what kind of currency is Bitcoin in terms of yin-yang indicators?
- exercise: how to improve a currency using the Block Chain Protocol. pros + cons
- exercise: how to improve a currency using chiralkines. pros + cons
Conclusion: back to pure gift economy
- in the end, what is money, really?
- exercise: the paradox of "measuring into existence" gift economies
- exercise: what are some metrics that indicate successful currencies (or not)
- end with a conscious potluck