Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
I plan to tie all of the work and modules together with skills towards resilience and water security. I will also springboard from the ludicrosity of using the purest drinking water in the world for watering and pooping.
Here are some possible learning modules to tie into our field work.
I will probably tie in systems in poor countries and the global status of rainwater catchment into US based systems.
Sizing tools: Rainwater Collection Calculator
I will probably tie in large-scale municipal level wastewater treatment into small-scale, home-based, subsurface flow, greywater treatment.
PS not proud of this, but here is a little video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkb-eaNufD0
I will discuss the various levels of treatment based on needs and costs. Technologies covered: Slow-sand filters, first flushes, mycofiltration, ceramic, impregnated silver, activated carbon, UV, etc.
I will focus on recharging the aquifer, reducing erosion and beautification.
Water for Food
I only have some experience with full aquaponics systems. I could have much more before the summer if necessary. Kiva already does.
Other Related Skills
- Measuring flow (multiple methods): bucket; float; T-square
- Measuring with personal stride
- Surveying (multiple methods): stick and level; line level, hose and water
- Finding contours: A-frame
- Sizing pipes: Reading tables
- Dimensional analysis for sizing
- much more...
- Additional concepts/vocabulary: BOD, COD, HRT, GPM, LPS, Volume, Area, TSS, Fecal Coliform, Eutrophication, pitch, slope, embedded energy, head, etc.