Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
I began my reaserach with Professor Josh Pearce's Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology (MOST) group in the Spring of 2013. Upon graduation I took a job as a Metallurgical Engineer for Sapa's North American Technical Center. During my term at Sapa I was responsible for alloy and press practice development for 6XXX and 7XXX type alloy systems. Secondary to that I was able to take part of Profile Academy's in which Sapa educates its customer about aluminum extrusions / aluminum alloys and their functional applications in todays world.
Missing the 3D printing space I took it upon myself to find another job in that industry. Fortunately enough I was able to find GPI Prototype and Manufacturing Services (GPI). GPI is a 3D printing service bureau located just out side Chicago, IL. My primary function, aside for Engineering Manager, was to be responsible for all parameter (scan strategy) development as well as lead technical contact for sales rep / customer interaction. I was also lead for on-boarding of large manufacturing projects through process / part qualification per customer specification.
In Spring of 2016 I have re-established myself as a Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) in the Materials Science and Engineering Department at Michigan Technological University. My research is apart of MOST and centers around 3D printing and Open_source_hardware development.
Research and Project Work
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
- 3D Printing Parameter Optimization
- Open Source Hardware
- Material Characterization
- Composite Materials
- Manufacturing Systems
Current Projects / Publications
- Laureto, John J., Pearce, Joshua M. “Nuclear Insurance Subsidies Cost from Post-Fukushima Accounting Based on Media Sources.” Sustainability, Vol. 8 (2016): 12
- Link to Paper: MDPI
- Open-source laser system for polymeric welding
- Project Literature Review: Open Source Polymer Welder Literature Review
- Project Protocol: Laser welding protocol: MOST
- Project Publication: John J. Laureto, Serguei V. Dessiatoun, Michael M. Ohadi and Joshua M. Pearce. Open Source Laser Polymer Welding System: Design and Characterization of Linear Low-Density Polyethylene Multilayer Welds. Machines 2016, 4(3), 14; doi: 10.3390/machines4030014
- Thermal conductivity of PLA+metal composites
- Project Literature Review: Thermal conductivity of filaments for 3D printing lit review
- Project Protocol / Publication: Laureto, John J., Tomasi, Julie, King, Julia A., Pearce, Joshua M. “Thermal Properties of 3-D Printed Polylactic Acid – Metal Composites.” Progress in Additive Manufacturing (2016). To be published.
- Composite HX Manufacturing with Gigabot
- Recycled FFF PLA filament as concrete aggregate
- Project Literature Review: Recycled PLA Filament for Concrete Aggregate Literature Review
- Project Protocol: In progress...
- B.T. Wittbrodt, A.G. Glover, J. Laureto, G.C. Anzalone, D. Oppliger, J.L. Irwin, and J.M. Pearce. 'Life-cycle economic analysis of distributed manufacturing with open-source 3-D printers' Mechatronics
- Link to Project Page and Publication: Life-cycle economic analysis of distributed manufacturing with open-source 3-D printers
- B.T. Wittbrodt, J. Laureto, B. Tymrak, J.M. Pearce. 'Distributed Manufacturing with 3D Printing: Recreational Vehicle Solar Mounting' Journal of Frugal Innovation
- Link to Project Page and Publication: Distributed manufacturing with 3-D printing: a case study of recreational vehicle solar photovoltaic mounting systems
Past Research Projects
- MY5490 Photovoltaic Science and Engineering
- Printable PV Components
- Link to Project Page / Literature Review: 3D printable PV components literature review
- Printable PV Components
- MY3701 Semiconductor Recycling Project
- Link to Project Page: Viability of Recycling Copper Indium Gallium Selenide (CIGS) in Photovoltaic Cells
- Michigan Tech Concrete Canoe
- Link to Teams Web Page: [Michigan Tech Concrete Canoe]
- Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) in Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Research Group(MOST)
- GPI Prototype and Manufacturing Services - Engineering Manager - Feb 2014 to Jan 2016
- Sapa Extrusions - Metallurgical Engineer - July 2013 to Feb 2014
- ArcelorMittal - Quality Assurance Intern for Hot Mill QA - May 2012 to August 2012
- Mercury Marine - Materials Lab Co-Op - Jan 2011 to August 2011
Current Spring 2017
- MY 5970 Special Topics in Materials Science (Anisotropic properties of FFF printed components)
- MY 5110 Thermodynamics and Kinetics II
- MY 5777 Open Source 3D Printing
- MY 5100 Thermodynamics and Kinetics I
- MY 5260 Crystallography and Diffraction
- MY 5250 TEM
- MY 5990 MS Thesis Research