Add your voice to our December Thunderclap for the new Rainwater Book
Talk:GEM mosquito control
Since "technology" might give the idea of some device that is being sold, perhaps "GEM method" is more suitable? (Apparently in some languages, such as French, "technology" is broader and also includes the sense of "technique," but the English usually implies a tool or device.) --Chriswaterguy · talk 04:55, 18 March 2007 (PDT)
Hi Chris, "technology" was used for 2 reasons. (1) to draw attention of casual & serious readers of news papers & magazines. (2) as per English dictionary meaning it was not inappropriate. But I was not aware of the implication of device or tool & sale. More over I was thinking of changing it to include the words "mosquito" & "control" or "destruction". Now as it is put under the castegory Mosquito Control, "G E M method" seems sufficient and ok. How to implement this change? Where all are the modifications to be done? User:Georgedappilly 20 March 2007 13:45 (IST)
22:16, 27 July 2017 (PDT)
Please visit ? Efficacy of source reduction in mosquito control ? and respond through talk page.
Shooter 05:05, 13 November 2007 (PST)
Can Appropedia lead demonstrating GEM mosquito control to the global scientific community?
Hi Chris Watkins & Christopher Sam,
You have done a wonderful job by getting the article on GEM mosquito control translated into Kiswahili . It has re-vitalised the page & more visits are seen after that, both in English and in Kiswahili versions.
In connection with that I was wondering whether Appropedia will consider the possibility of executing a demo project of GEM mosquito control somewhere in Africa where mosquito menace is severe & is easily accessible to you both. If my physical conditions allow, am willing to associate myself with it.
Unfortunately I am not good at convincing authorities, raising funds or getting sponsors etc. I know that Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is pumping out huge funds for mosquito/malaria eradication. Will Appropedia be able to channelize a small portion of it for obtaining scientific proof of GEM mosquito control’s efficacy and demonstrating it in front of the global scientific community.
Shooter 02:21, 11 January 2013 (PST)
I am based in southern India and would be willing to participate. For it to be a worthwhile study some thought would have to be put into methodology and documentation. Feel free to contact me if you want to share ideas.
--Moaltmann 10:57, 15 January 2013 (PST)
- Anyone interested in starting a project of this nature?
- --Moaltmann 20:34, 15 January 2013 (PST)
Thank you for the response. I too am based in southern India. I have only ideas and a little time and am willing to share both. Have no hands on experience in projects & their execution. Yes, I have lots of confidence. How shall we go about?
Shooter 00:31, 16 January 2013 (PST)
- Hi George and Mischa,
- I'd love to see this idea tested - in a rigorous, unbiased way, and seen to be so, so that the results are acknowledged to be reliable. (Of course, if there are no funds for a large study, then a simpler but still carefully designed experiment could be useful in demonstrating that there might be something worth studying, to get interest from other parties.)
- Appropedia itself does not fund field projects, unfortunately, even if we had such funds. I guess you've already spoken with universities about this? Researchers in the area of mosquito/malaria control?
- Sorry for the slow response. --Chriswaterguy 23:50, 19 February 2013 (PST)
Hi Chris & Mischa,
Fortunately or unfortunately all the doors accessible to me have been knocked earlier, more than once. Unfortunately I failed miserably in convincing them. My feeling is that they took me as an alien intruder because my academic background is mathematics, professional experience is in development, testing, use & analysis of software for space science & technology related projects. People to whom I have talked or have to talk belong to Biology or Medical profession. They responded to my words as if they are epitome of knowledge. That is why a book was written & published, turned to holding Press conferences, community classes, TV Channel programmes etc and reached Appropedia through my daughter. I NEED HELP FROM OTHERS, I CAN ONLY CO-OPERATE WITH SUCH PEOPLE.
Shooter 08:26, 21 February 2013 (PST)
- That's challenging. Let me think more about this - and I'll ask some academics for their ideas & suggestions, when I get a chance to talk with them. --Chriswaterguy 17:44, 24 February 2013 (PST)