Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Project developed by User:Patrick Gilland
- Hemostats are a medical alternative to clamps. They are especially useful when the user only has one hand available or access to something from one side. This fully customizable 3-D printed option makes hemostats available to doctors in remote locations at a low cost.
- Picture of completed print using your printer
Bill of Materials
- 2 x Printed Hemostat Files
DOWNLOAD FILES HERE https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3280991
- 1 x 3mm by 10mm long**
- 1 x 3mm nut**
NUT & BOLT DIMENSIONS MAY CHANGE WITH CUSTOMIZATION OF PRINT
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
- Phillips head screw driver
- 5.5 mm wrench
TOOL REQUIREMENTS MAY VARY BASED ON NUT & BOLT SELECTION
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT
- 3D Printing Knowledge & Capabilities
- Understand the needs & application for the most efficient customization
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
- Customize & Print 2 copies of the Hemostats
- It is recommended to print around 30 mm/s with a 100% infill
- Orient the two printed pieces so that:
- The holes align
- The finger holes of the prints are on opposite sides
- Locking wedges are pointing toward each other for proper engagement
- Insert bolt into hole. (Direction does not matter)
- Engage the nut onto the bolt.
- Tighten with very little force using a screw driver and a wrench. (Over tightening will the limit the ability of the hemostats.
Common Problems and Solutions
- Make sure that the wedges that lock into each other are both wide enough and deep enough so that they do not break when you try and lock the Hemostats down.
- Make sure the nut & bolt are loose enough to allow free movement of the hemostats.
- Make sure the all of the pieces are thick enough as to not bend under forces (minimum of 4mm thickness is recommended)
- 25g of PLA ($0.40 USD) + 3mm Nut ($0.13 USD) + 3mm x 12mm bolt ($0.33 USD) = $0.86 USD Total
- Compared to $4.27 USD Cheapest Hemostats I Could Find
- Cost savings of $3.41 USD (79.9% cost savings)
- The biggest benefit is not cost, but availability when Amazon delivery is not an option in a remote or devastated area.
Benefited Internet Communities
Name and add links to at least 5 using single brackets around [url name]:
- These hemostats were designed based on my own used of them