Appropedia needs your support - Please Donate Today
Evaluation of RepRap 3D Printer Workshops in K-12 STEM
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
Pearce Publications By Topic: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
|This page is part of an international project to use RepRap 3-D printing to make OSAT for sustainable development. Learn more.
Research: Open source 3-D printing of OSAT • RecycleBot • LCA of home recycling • Green Distributed Recycling • Ethical Filament • LCA of distributed manufacturing • RepRap LCA Energy and CO2 • Solar-powered RepRaps • solar powered recyclebot • Feasibility hub • Mechanical testing • RepRap printing protocol: MOST• Lessons learned • MOST RepRap Build • MOST Prusa Build • MOST HS RepRap build • RepRap Print Server
- J.L. Irwin, D.E. Oppliger, J.M. Pearce, G. Anzalone, Evaluation of RepRap 3D Printer Workshops in K-12 STEM. 122nd ASEE 122nd ASEE Conf. Proceedings, paper ID#12036, 2015. open access
printers are actually being used and whether they support the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) requirements, especially in regard to engineering design. The survey response rate was 52% of 68 total participants with the majority conveying that 3D printers do facilitate student understanding of the engineering design process and that the workshops empowered them and their students to tackle projects previously perceived as beyond their skill level. Insufficient preparation for troubleshooting hardware and software issues was listed as the greatest barrier to fully realizing the technology’s potential in the classroom. Also highlighted was a lack of resources for development of meaningful lesson plans using this nascent technology.
- Open-source 3-D printing Technologies for Education: Bringing Additive Manufacturing to the Classroom
- Delta Build Overview:MOST
- Category:MOST RepRap build
- Delta Build Workshop
- The RepRap 3-D Printer Revolution in STEM Education
- Implementing Self-Replicating Rapid Prototypers (RepRaps) into a Mechanical/Manufacturing Program