Appropedia needs your support - Please Donate Today
|See also the Adobe category.|
for subtopics, how-tos, project pages, designs, organization pages and more.
Adobe is a type of earthen construction composed, like cobb, of sand, clay, fiber (usually straw) and often other organic ingredients. The adobe mixture is shaped into bricks using adoberas (wooden frames) and then dried in the sun. Adobe structures are extremely durable, with many very old structures still in use[verification needed]. They also regulate temperature due to their high thermal mass, which is very useful in climates with high diurnal temperature swings.
- Banco is a type of adobe. It is made by fermenting rice husks with mud.
- kleiwerks - Awesome natural-building teaching organization.
- networkearth - This site is loaded with the history, politics and techniques of many types of natural building.
- ABCs of making Adobe Bricks - Brief and could use some revision, but a good model of concise presentation.
- Earthquake resistant construction of Adobe Buildings: A Tutorial funded by the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute and hosted by the amazing world-housing database.
- Pequals.com Adobe Box Two girls, two adoberas (adobe forms), one big, adobe box. Renée and Kendra construct an adobe box in an attempt to hold water as an alternative to the plastic linings for ponds and gray water marshes.